Mule deer scope

goblism

I am looking to buy a mule deer scope and I am wanting to have a decent BDC reticle.
I have mainly been looking at 2 particular scopes. The burris veracity 3-15 as well as the Zeiss HD5 3-15 in z800. I plan to either build/buy a 6.5 wsm or 6.5 SAUM 4s or use my 7mm mag. I am also considering the 270 wsm but that fluted varmint barrel makes the gun a tad heavy (8.5 lbs bare). Any of these ballistics will match the z800 reticle for distances up to 800 yards.

I am thoroughly impressed with the Burris veracity features for the price but am hesitant due to the heavier weight!

Any feedback on these two? I am hoping to use a 130 gr accubond at 3300 fps, or something close to that.

Also if I am missing any other major contenders let me know. I want this to be a bullet drop style reticle, so please no recommendations that are otherwise.

g, a friend has three of the Burris scopes. Great glass and I like the ease of use. As scope preferences go, you would benefit from a trip to a store/shop which has both and compare them side by side. Which scope looks great to one individual may not be the preference of another. Good luck

Veracity is a better scope all around. the reason it weighs more are the 3 reasons you should prefer it; it's a first focal plane vs. sfp on the Zeiss, it's a 30mm tube vs. 1 in, and it's 50mm vs. 42mm. For all those reasons plus the lifetime warranty and great customer service, you can't go wrong with the Veracity. If you wanted it for a super light weight sheep rifle, you might go for the lighter weight. But for muleys, this isn't a close call. I have a veracity and and an xtrii, and i think the glass is great on both.

I have both, and would take the Zeiss HD5 hands down over the veracity. Get the HD5 with pull up target turrets and zero stop. Zeiss HD5 even though it's a 1" tube and 42mm obj is without question brighter and absolutely clearer any time of day, at any power, especially at dusk/dawn. The HD5 with one revolution still gets me to 1k if you need to dial. I'd take the HD5 even if it was $500.00 more than the Veracity. I have also had Conquests, and prefer the HD5. Veracity optically above 18x is very challenged. Really the only question is if you are looking for FFP or SFP. FFP, Veracity. SFP, HD5. If FFP/SFP doesn't really matter, out of the two scopes you listed I'll take the HD5. I currently run the Enhanced ATACR, but I still think the HD5 has better optical performace. Both take me to way past legal shooting light on a deer. It was easeir for me to resolve bullet holes with the HD5 when shooting paper.

would you like to sell your Veracity? I'm looking to buy a hunting scope.

would you like to sell your Veracity? I'm looking to buy a hunting scope.

I would if I didn't paint it to match a few years ago! I picked up the 5-25 model with a trade. When the Athlon Aeres or Vortex Gen II PST comes out, I'll probably take this out of the rings and strip all the paint off and sell it. It's a little more work than I'm looking to do at the moment. Unless you like redneck camo!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 58
You may want to give our Toric 3-15x42 Impact BDC a look.

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/riflescopes/toric-3-15x42-bdc

Schott HT glass, zero stop, custom turrets available, 4" constant eye relief, Glass etched reticle, ballistic software paired for reticle, coming in at about 20 oz.

It has just about everything you need and then some...but you're paying a lot less for it with our direct to consumer business model. Saves you a little bit more money to put into your build as well.

Feel free to send a PM if you have any questions.

I have both, and would take the Zeiss HD5 hands down over the veracity. Get the HD5 with pull up target turrets and zero stop. Zeiss HD5 even though it's a 1" tube and 42mm obj is without question brighter and absolutely clearer any time of day, at any power, especially at dusk/dawn.

Your experience is mirroring mine. Good glass and coatings make a bid difference. I once read, referring to large objectives, "A brightly lit blog is still a brightly lit blob."

I ended up getting a HD5 with the z800 reticle at a price that I would have been foolish to say no. I did not get the plex style with turrets mainly because I plan to use this on elk someday as well. I would hate to have a short period of time to make a shot on a long range elk and miss my opportunity due to adjusting the turret, or even worse forgetting to change it back when I had a closer shot after that.

After looking at several bullet drop compensation reticles I am fairly convinced that Zeiss has the best of the bunch! I am looking forward to seeing how close the online ballistic calculator is to the real life results at longer ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts