Scope choice for combined Elk/mule deer hunt

doctorjj

I have read a lot on here, did several searches, trying to avoid a new topic but couldn't ever come to a conclusion.

I just booked a 7 day combined bull elk and mule deer hunt for me and my dad for Nov 2023. It will be in New Mexico. I've got several guns to choose from and, obviously, will take several. If I kill out for my elk tag first, then I would likely switch to a smaller caliber for the duration of the deer hunt. But, before I kill an elk (if I even kill one), I need a gun with a scope that will serve all purposes. While not what anyone here would consider truly long range, I suspect the longest shot me or my dad would take would be 500 yards. I already have a Swarovski 2.5-15x56 Z6i scope with the ballistic turret. I love the scope. I'm considering buying one or two more for this trip. Was also considering the Leupold MK5 3.6-18 as I kinda prefer FFP, but I am comfortable using both type of scopes. I think the lower magnification, the larger objective and the amazing Swaro glass could give an advantage in dark timber, closer shots and right at dawn and dusk. I'm also open to any opinions and suggestions as to why these aren't good choices or why other scopes might be better choices. The two primary guns are Remington 700's in 300 WSM and 300 Win Mag. The 300 WSM will be shooting 180grain Norma Bondstrikes and the 300 Win Mag really likes the 200 grain Hornady ELD-x. Again, any thoughts are appreciated.

We live in a time that gives us lots of great choices for scopes. We could give you lots of different choices in scopes nightforce, March, leupold etc. While I'm not real familiar with the scope you mentioned, I know swarovski makes high quality products. For the reasons you already mentioned I would think it would work quite well. So why not just do as you already suggested and pickup another for your second rifle. Keeping everything the same would seem like a good idea. Good luck to you and your dad on your hunt.

How well does the Swaro track? I ask because I know nothing of them. I have to admit, i'm highly inclined to choose it over the Leupold already.

Throw us some info on what you'd want in a scope & we can offer more precise help.

You've already stated preferring FFP, that's a great start. Now, what mag range? 20x, 25x, 30x, 36x? What tube diameter? What kind of reticle? Locking turrets? No Chicom? MOA or MIL? Price range? etc.

To get the ball rolling, i'll throw in the Zeiss LRP S3 (or S5 if you want).

And the Burris XTRIII 3.3-18x.

t

I'm not sure of the style of hunting you will be experiencing, but I would ask the outfitter. If it involves a great deal of spot and stalk in very challenging terrain, weight may be an issue. The Swarovski will be light weight and more than adequate. If you are using this hunt to justify a new scope, then by all means get what you want. You can check your tracking before the hunt. Enjoy the planning and the hunt.

Just my two cents,,,,, I put a NightForce NX8 2.5-20 ffp on my 6.5/284 build and couldn't be happier. Caught the scope on sale at Scope List for 1500. Best set up I own and most of my others are Zeiss.

Nothing wrong with your choice of Swarovski. They are fine for both elk and deer as are both of your calibers. Anything in the 3-18, 4-16 range is plenty. My recommendation would be to use equipment that you are familiar with. I doubt very seriously if your guide will be wanting you to take 500 yards shots anyway except in an extreme circumstance. I am a Nightforce guy and I love them but I have several Swarovski's as well and they work just fine.

This is private land, access is supposed to be fairly easy on this ranch. My dad is 73 with 2 total knees. They say they can accommodate him. If so, I don't think I'll have any issues but I will up the cardio, especially the inclines for several months beforehand.

Thanks for all the comments. I ended up ordering 2 of the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 FFP with Tremor3 and a Swarovski Z8i 2.3-18x56 with the BRX reticle. The plan is for the Nightforce to be on the primary Elk gun and the Z8i and z6i (that I already had) to be on the backup/mule deer guns. Plan is for the backup/deer guns to be a bit smaller caliber. So if we kill elk first, we can switch to lighter, smaller caliber guns for the mule deer.