Best scope for fairly long range deer hunting

tutster

New to this forum. Hopefully you folks can help. I've got a Tikka Continental in .270 and this gun is really accurate with Ballistic Tips in Federals Premium line. Talking less than 1/2" group if I do my part. Have been using a 6.5 X 20 Power Leupold VARI-X III, but moved that to a .220 swift I have. Decided I wanted something not quite as powerful which has a bit better field of view if I end up shooting at a moving deer at 50 yars instead of 250 yards. Am considering the following options.

Monarch Nikon in 5.5 X 16 power

Bushnell 4200 4 X 16 Power

Leupold Vari X-II in 6 X 18 Power

Appears all the prices are in the same ballpark. Would appreciate thoughts on each, plus and minus.

PS. I know Nikon Buckmaster scopes are made in the Phillipines, is that where the Monarch line is made also? Just curious. Know Leupold in stateside, and the Bushnells are made in Japan. Thanks Tut

Tut, For what you want look at the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5X14 SF model. Basically everything is being built in Japan except Leupold. There service is why they are so popular as well as good glass. You don't need as much power as you are looking at for LR hunting of big game. Field of view is important. There is nothing wrong even with a 3.5X10, but a lot of guys like the 4.5X14 for a little extra reach.

Of the ones you have listed...I like the 4200. The glass is at 95% light trans. , has Rainguard coating, mine came with sun shade. The 4 power is lower than the others listed, which will give you a larger field of view and the 16 power is high enough compared to the others listed. I might even talk myself into another one. You should be able to buy the Buckmaster for a lot less than the 4200. I think someone here sells them on his site called The Opticzone...someone will correct me if I'm wrong on the address spelling. The Monarchs are made in Japan and you are right about where the Buckmasters are made. I've heard all good on the Buckmaster with the side focas, their glass is around 92% light trans. , the Monarch..?? not sure about the light trans. , the Monarch Gold is at 95% light trans.
I'm currently trying to talk myself into a Weaver Tactical 4.5-14 if still available rather than the 4200 in 4-16. I wish someone would help me make up my mine on these two. Hope this helps you some.

I agree with wapiti on this one.

Your 270 would be well served with a 3.5x10 (or less). 10x is plenty of magnification for taking shots out past 500yds on big game.

Its the 3.5x thats important on your rifle. If you ever intend on using this rifle in the woods, even the 3.5x will seem too high with its limited FOV @ short range.

It's easy to get caught up in the high magnification craze and they all work well at the range. However, when you're afield, less is often more. If you know what I mean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a 6-24x40 4200 with mildot an a Sendero in .300 Win Mag. Just awsome, I have had experence with leupold and nikon. Both excelent, but for $485 out the door this scope rocks. I have it zeroed at 100 yds. and can screw it up to zero to 600 yds. and back with all faith that it will be where it is supposed to be. Consider the Bushnell 4200, well worth the $$$.

I use to own all three scopes.The 4200Bushnell is head and shoulders above the bushnells we grew up with and is a good piece of glass for the $$.The Nikon had a very short eye relief whitch has ben fixed with the new ones,the reticle gets you on target fast!Again a good piece of glass for the money.The leupold VXll would be my last choice both because of field of view and inferior glass BUT if it breaks you'll have the best service in the industry.
All of these scope have more magnification than you need for deer but would double as varmint scopes if the target aint moveing to close.

Based on the some of the above advise in regaurds to the even lower power than you had originally asked about, I like the Nikon Monarch 3.3-10x44 W/AO. You can get it with Mil dot & Matt finish. The price is very close to the 4200.
I forgot to mention it has 3.6" eye relief.

Had a 4-16x50 Elite. Didn't like the squatty turret.
Found it tough to tell which turn I was on. And not enough MOA per turn.

Have shot the VX-II 6x18-40 target on a 300RUM and it would be my choice for an under 1K rifle.

Never shot the Monarch.

If fairly long range deer hunting means 4-500yd, I have a 4.5-14x42 Burris Fullfield with the Ballistic plex on my 270. Works fine for that. Just have to verify drops at all ranges.

I would pick the Leupld 6-18 any day over the rest you mentioned. I have 2 of these scopes and 1 was on my 300 RUM for the better part of a year with no problems mechanically. Optics are nice, crisp and bright. Everything youd come to expect from Leupold. They also have the "clicks" which come in very handy for LR shooting. I would then opt for the elite 4200. I have only looked through these scopes, but man was it clear. To bad it has no clicks. The burris in my opinion is last. Throuh my eyes, Burris are not crisp or clear.

I have a 6-24x40 4200 with mildot an a Sendero in .300 Win Mag. Just awsome, I have had experence with leupold and nikon. Both excelent, but for $485 out the door this scope rocks. I have it zeroed at 100 yds. and can screw it up to zero to 600 yds. and back with all faith that it will be where it is supposed to be. Consider the Bushnell 4200, well worth the $$$.

Thanks for the info. It helped me decide on buying this very scope and I will add it to a new (old stock) Ruger M77 300 win mag. I had some doubts about the starting point at 6x but intend this rifle to be used for longer ranges for moose and elk anyways, and in this area there are enough deer walking around at longer distances so passing up closer shots is not an issue. I have several side parallax adjustment scopes now and truly appreciate the clarity and resolution they provide at more distant targets.......I have other Bushnell Elite scopes (all with various reticles and 3-9x40) and all offer exceptional clarity and value and this one is even better. 'Can't wait to get to the range and get the scope and rifle working well together. Thanks:D

I don't know if the Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 is in your price range or not but I have several of these and they're excellent for when you're hunting in thick brush but may at any time step onto a clear cut and see a nice buck on the other side of it.

They're a bit heavy and require 30mm Rings but I found them to be nearly perfect with the best glass in the industry and fairly repeatable reticle adjustments.

SWFA Riflescopes Bushnell Rifle Scopes Bushnell Elite 6500 Rifle Scopes

Failing that I've had good luck with the Nikon Buckmaster series and consider them the best bang for the buck hunting scopes I've used in the last few years.

The 4.5-14x40 with BDC reticle would easily meet your budget and is quite a nice scope but the optics clarity and low light transmission, although good, won't touch the Bushnell Elite scopes.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=NK6469&src=tpCtg
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=NK&prodID=NK6453&prodTitle=Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 Riflescope SF BDC Reticle Matte

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.