MT wolf trapping class.

bigngreen

Just got through the wolf trapping class, great class, the FWP brought in the guy who built the Idaho course and who is a life long wolfer. Good info from guys who know what their doing was invaluable, our Biologist and Warden are trappers also so we had some good info from them from their stand point. MT and Idaho have reciprocity with the wolf trapping course which is nice for those of use who trap on the boarder.
The MTA has representation there also which was great, good to be involved!

Seriously questioning my gear though, I don't want to educate any wolves with any catch and release action :rolleyes: Looks like I'll be needing some MB750's, crap that's a lot of coin for a couple of pelts of limited value, the guy from Idaho had some mods for the MB750 to make it a touch better but it was the rig he uses for wolfing, nice to get hands on some serious proven wolf gear to see how he had it set up!
Hopefully we can put some numbers up this year!!!

I am signed up for Oct. 13 here in Livingston, I am glad to hear your positive attitude toward this class. I always wonder about these types of "hoops" a guy needs to track down and then try to jump through.

Very nice! I have been thinking about taking the class at some point just because, i don't have the cash to shell out for some real wolf gear and i don't want to educate them by trying to use my hillbilly coyote sets for them.

Did he talk alot about snaring? Seems to me like a guy that had his stuff together could put a hurtin on some wolves with snares, as well as they work on 'yotes i'd think they would be good for the big dogs too.
I throughly enjoyed Trapper Ed when i took it many years back in Great Falls, i thought the course was well laid out and alot of fun. Good luck this fall!

Very nice! I have been thinking about taking the class at some point just because, i don't have the cash to shell out for some real wolf gear and i don't want to educate them by trying to use my hillbilly coyote sets for them.

Did he talk alot about snaring? Seems to me like a guy that had his stuff together could put a hurtin on some wolves with snares, as well as they work on 'yotes i'd think they would be good for the big dogs too.
I throughly enjoyed Trapper Ed when i took it many years back in Great Falls, i thought the course was well laid out and alot of fun. Good luck this fall!

I've worked a little on modifying our coyote gear so it won't shell but I really don't want to educate wolves either but from what I've seen it's going to happen, your not going to coyote trap with wolf traps since the dollars are insane but you'd catch them high and I really hate that. I think I may drag more coyote traps and add some chain in areas that I may get a wolf also.

They touched on snares and it came down to what I'm afraid of and that was non target catches, mainly deer. I really like snaring and build a smoking coyote killing snare and I honestly don't want to see wolf snaring, the amount of deer caught would be high I think. I do everything to keep deer out of snares and I still have had deer get smoked in my coyote snares, raise them another 10-12 inches and double the loop and your going to stack deer up IMO.

The class really brought to light that the wolf trapping is putting trapping as a whole in the spot light, we're under a micro scope this year and one screw up would be disastrous, not only for wolf trapping but it would have repercussion for trapping as a whole . Some of MT regs were made based on only one pic from last years Idaho season, that one pic almost killed wolf trapping in the lower 48!!!

I thought the MT FWP said snares were not allowed for wolves? At least thats what i heard when they first passed it.

That is what I understand also. Its too bad, they are the best overall tool and with # 9 wire diverters, work well. Attached to a stand pole or tree/ bush. I was hunting last week on top of the Idaho / MT divide and ridges down the Idaho side. Tons of wolf sign and excellent trails, but to far in and remote for when the snow comes and the season opens.

The WI wolf season is nearing it's end, only 25 or so to go on the 116 wolf limit. As one would expect, most came by trapping. I know a guy who uses the MB-750 & usually beaver bait on an 8 ft or so stout drag. They usually don't go all that far & if needed most hunting dogs will find them.

Another set is the good ole blind set, private land seldom used '2-track'. This set usually has just a small set of branches on the one side to guide the animal into the other tire track.

Too bad you guys can not use snares. That's how most wolves are caught in Alaska. And we catch a lot of Wolves.

One guy I know will find where they are using snow machine trails. At a good location he will make a trail set with a trap in the middle of the trail. (That's the trigger). Then he will saturate the area with snares. He will put a snare everywhere a wolf can stick their heads, to go through the brush. If he has done everything right he will catch the entire pack.

Another guy I know lives just outside Denali park. he is always getting park wolves coming to his homestead and trying to kill his horses, especially when one of his mares fouls. He hangs snares from the lower rails of his horse corrals and he will catch one, two, or sometimes three, at a time.

Me I use a rifle, (25-06) I just don't have the time or inclination to set traps and snares.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.