Idaho Wolf Trapping

mustang58

Have heard that Idaho units 29 and 30 will get a wolf tapping season this year. Does anyone know for sure. Any other units?

The trapping of wolves is not all you might think it is understand! They are very weary and scent/trap placement must be perfect. Trapping for me years ago was fun, never minded the getting up late or getting back late. Trapping beaver, fox and other critters was a challenge and fun to boot. However, when it comes to the taking of wolf fur, it is very difficult to get the job done and you best have a heep of traps set out also, not just 4 or 5 sets.

Wolf traps are pretty expensive. The trap and chain for one set may cost $150. Can't afford too many at that price. The only trapper to catch a wolf last year in the Salmon region had 5 sets and caught 3 wolves.

While wolf trapping is and can be a whole other level,its not rocket science.A lot of the new units available in Idaho give you great opportunity's to capitolize on unwary wolves.MB-750's are a great wolf trap and they run around $60 for a trap with the Whitman drag ready to go.
I had 7 blind sets on some known wolf circuits and snapped a black the first 3 days.Likely more as they crossed 2 more sets but I was frozen out.Time is the biggest factor,your married to running and checking the line.

With the little boy that went missing west of Leadore,up Timber creek? the search and rescue guys have spotted wolves
Imma try for some this season

With the little boy that went missing west of Leadore,up Timber creek? the search and rescue guys have spotted wolves
Imma try for some this season

There is only one way to learn! 4-5 sets is better then wishing you had tried!
Mb750 is my only bit of advise! If you have snow Google produce bags and trapping. Some beaver goo and have fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.