MPA vs MDT

WyoRifleman

Hey guys!

I am looking for some insider information. I am currently "building" my first long range rifle. Aka I am looking up all the dream parts of my gun and via a spreed sheet, putting it together.

I like the chassis look, the ability to adjust length of pull, cants, and check rests. I think have narrowed my search down to a MPA or a MDT.

Which one do you like and why?

I know this is pretty open ended with different styles and tons of add ons but I want to know what you guys think.

Thanks!

I just got an MPA matrix and really like it so far. It offered more of a traditional stock feel with all the modularity that the chassis offer. I do wish it had a sloped butt section instead of flat because it would be easier for me to make elevation adjustments with the rear bag, and I will buy a bigger grip to get my finger a little closer to the trigger. I've shot with it enough now to know that I like it a lot for my heavier rifles.

I have a pretty expensive MPA chassis and the cheapest clearance priced MDT chassis I could find (first gen LSS for Savage Axis).

The MPA is pretty nice but a few details let it down, the Arca rail is pretty bad, Arca clamps barely grab it and I'm worried I'll round a corner off if i load up a clamp that has so little purchase. Also the Lug Lock they include does not fit a standard 0.1875" thick recoil lug despite being "Remington 700 compatible".

The MDT is ok but it had some large machining burrs under the Cerakote which after i broke them off left uncoated aluminum. I wanted a vertical grip so I swapped the MPA grip to try out, it fit fairly well, not perfect. I bought an adjustable MDT vertical grip and it must have been designed for a newer chassis because it lines up horribly.

I think I should have been able to expect more from MPA due to the price.

I'm not sure what the deal with the MDT and their grip is but I shouldn't complain because I think I paid about $180 for the chassis.

I can't say anything about the newer and more expensive MDT chassis.

Alternatively, if you want something a lot better than the MPA, I recommend the American Rifle Company Xylo. Its 7075 and hard coat anodized rather than painted. The Arca rail is in spec and also Area419 Arcalock compatible. The lug locking wedge is super beefy and fits. The integrated bubble level is in a place that is easy to see with your off eye for both right and left handed shooters even if you are dealing with a bit of presbyopia like me. It has Anschutz rail and Mlok compatibility. It is expensive but it is really nice.

I've spent some considerable time behind a MPA ultralight chassis.

The two big downsides for me and this chassis was no real good areas to place a rear bag while shooting prone - along with not having the greatest heads on the adjustment screws for length of pull and cheek riser. They constantly go loose because you can't get them tight enough by hand (heavy recoiling magnum)

Other then that it was a nice chassis! I still prefer KRG personally over MPA.

Have you considered a KRG whiskey or xlr chassis? I have a krg bravo, has very similar feeling to a standard stock. Have a few xlr chassis which I like a lot. Also have an mdt comp chassis. I have no issues with any of em. The bravo is def the lightest, and the polymer skins don't get cold as F in winter weather, vs the metal surfaces on the others.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.