mounting screws for Weatherby Mark V

just country

morning, I want to change the mounting screws on my Mark V from straight blade,

to torque head screws. no brownells, weatherby, or Remington. Remington comes the

closes to the length and thread. Remington has torque screws thru brownells.

does anyone have info for this fix. I have ground the Remington screws to proper

length. u have to watch the cocked indicator and bolt clearance. I can buy a bottle

cold bluing to coat the ground end.

any help would b appreciated

lightbulb

I think he means actions screws referring to cocking piece and bolt clearance. They are 1/4-28. I think the long Remington's are going to be your best bet. I get the Holland brand one in bulk. Most Remington factory screws are too short anyway. Makes a build look super sharp when the screws are perfectly fit.

Get a proper fitting hollow ground slotted head driver for the Weatherby screws and you can torque them as high as 65 inch pounds without them slipping. Once bedded I only torque them to 45 inch pounds. No need to put undue wear on them with excessive torque.

OK. I eneded up using some socket head blanks because of the shape of the head where it seats in the bottom metal. Turned the head to the proper diameter, single point threaded them, and then cut to length. Never did find any pre-made offerings.

morning, what is a small screw grizzy?? I use a lock nut to hold the screw. I make

sure not to over heat the nut. I was hoping someone knew a online site I could

purchase the right length screws with torque head design.

thanks much.lightbulb

Scope rings being the exception, in gunsmithing or custom rifles rarely are screws the right length. On action or scope base screws I think it's best to individually fit them. Then you can get them perfect.

l_080574001_3.jpg

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...s/screw-checker-shortening-jig-prod41831.aspx

You can make one up or buy it from Brownells. There is another style that looks like a piece of steel banding material bent in half with holes in it to hold the screws. This way you can hold really short ones without burning your fingers.

I shorten my screws on a belt sand and never have a problem with burrs or deformed threads. Heavy calluses allow me to get the job done before the screw gets too hot. I cut them with a hack saw or small bolt cutters to get them within an 1/8th inch then finish on the belt sander.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts