Mounting a Scope

Ramses II

I decided to put a 10X SS Scope on my M1A. It's a Leatherwood steel picatinny mount. When I mount this scope, I want to do it right, nice and level. So, what methods and/or tools do you recommend for putting a scope on level? Thanks
Ramses II

Also you may want to lap the rings. Also the lapping tool can be used to align rings as well as lap them just to make sure there is no variations between them that could pinch or twist your scope and cause damage.

Good Luck.
Ben

I'm not very experienced with truing scope rings but this might help. Take this for what it's worth.

Go buy a 1 inch wooden dowel. Roll it across your table to look for warpage (or on the store floor before you buy it). Mount your scope rings on your gun (just the lower half). Lay the dowel in the rings and get them lined up with each other. (use the dowel as the scope ring wrench and NOT your scope) Now look to see if the dowel contacts the front and back edge of both rings. If so then mount your scope. If not then either buy a Burris (I believe Burris makes them) ring set with self adjusting inserts or go see your gunsmith to have your rings lapped correctly.

Well, this is pretty simple and basic, but it has worked for me so far. I put the rifle in a cradle and put a level across a scope ring base. I shim the cradle until the scope base is level. I place the scope in the rings and place the level across the top turret and level the scope. I watch the level while I tighten the rings as the scope will move during this process. I tighten first one side a bit, and then the other until all screws are tight and the scope is still level. Another method I have used is to again level the rifle in a cradle, and then hang a plumb line out 100 yards or so. Align the verticle cross hair and tighten rings as described. Much more monkeying around this way. Simple, but it has worked for me.

Cobrad

I do the same technique like you. I don't like to use the plumb bob because Alot of scope Manufactures have tolerances on their recticles in that when they are mounted level their recticles could be off a couple of degrees. I don't have first hand knowledge except for reading on other boards of guys that have seen this problem.

I did a click test on my scopes last night to find actual click values for my scopes and i was curious to see what my tasco varmint scope was like that my wife uses to plink with. Put the scope in the rings and leveled the scope up from the turret and the recticle was canted almost to 1 O'clock. Very distracting but i knew the erector tube was level with the gun. My Nightforce and sightron recticles were fine when i did this test.

Would be very wierd to have the turret level and the crosshairs canted and not to cant the gun so the recticle looks level.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.