Mountian Rifle Hunting Scope

Echoing what has already been said but, I have the same rifle and faced the same choice. My Ridgeline PRC now sports a VX5HD 3-15 firedot (actually have the same scope on several rifles because I like it so much) and feel it is the perfect scope for a light weight mountain rifle. 3 power is good for close quick target acquisition, 15 power is good for any reasonable long range shots, 30mm tube (I prefer over 1" and weight difference is negligible), quality glass, relatively inexpensive as they can be had for well under your budget, very light weight and if you care about such things, it also has the CDS.

Swarovski z5 3.5-18 with the BRH reticle is the way to go.

Attached is my 6.5 SAUM, 7lb exactly ready to fill with 3 rounds and go hunt. The BRH reticule is easy to use at any useful range and the z5 weighs less than the VX5. I have a VX5 3-15x44 on my 338 Norma and it is not as light or optically competent as the z5.
BRX&BRH, Swarovski.png
Fin 1.jpg

Swarovski z5 3.5-18 with the BRH reticle is the way to go.

Attached is my 6.5 SAUM, 7lb exactly ready to fill with 3 rounds and go hunt. The BRH reticule is easy to use at any useful range and the z5 weighs less than the VX5. I have a VX5 3-15x44 on my 338 Norma and it is not as light or optically competent as the z5 3.5
View attachment 166121 View attachment 166123
Going to have to disagree whole heartedly. I bedded ordered and installed custom elevation knobs and did load development for a 3 guys in my hunting club who. Each one of them bought a weatherby mark V Krieger barreled rifled to take to Montana this year and the third has hill country rifles build him a 300rum One rifle had a z6i 2.5-15x56 (6.5-300wby) another a z5 3.5-18x44(6.5-300wby)and finally a 300 rum with a vx6 3-18x50. The glass quality on the vx6 punches up there with the much higher z6i. It is absolutely not on the same level as the z5. The z5 by far gathered light the poorest of the 3. Also my 3-15x44 vx5s for comparison did better in low light situations. All three scopes track well As I shot these guns all summer at every range possible from 100-850 and they all took adjustments just fine. But in a battle of which one has the better optics, the z5 takes the backseat. By quite a bit.

I picked up a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC and want to set it up for mountain hunting. I live in Montana and have the opportunity on many occasions to get out in the hills and chase critters around. All of my current hunting rifles are fairly heavy with long range scopes on them. Packing one up and down the mountain is not my idea of a good time, hence the ridgeline. I have grown overly found of the large full length rifle scopes with high magnification but they are to heavy, IMO to pack all day. Here's the question: What would you guys recommend for a mountain rifle hunting scope? I want a quality scope with weight being one of my main concerns. Thanks in advance for all your replies.

For many years I have hunted with the older Remington Mountain Rifles, bedded wood stock, pencil barrel. 270 & 280. Both put the first 3 shots in .6-.75". Settled on the Leupold VX3 4.5x14 on both. At 76yrs old, these are my primary HUNTING rifles for everything. Works for deer, elk, Javelina, etc.

I have a vx3 4.5-14 and vx6 3-18 and use these rifles mainly for wolf and yote hunting. I am big fan of my vx6 and the little extra weight of this scope over the vx3 is not that bad considering the level of the scope. I sold my nightforce as a result of the 6 being good enough.

I picked up a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC and want to set it up for mountain hunting. I live in Montana and have the opportunity on many occasions to get out in the hills and chase critters around. All of my current hunting rifles are fairly heavy with long range scopes on them. Packing one up and down the mountain is not my idea of a good time, hence the ridgeline. I have grown overly found of the large full length rifle scopes with high magnification but they are to heavy, IMO to pack all day. Here's the question: What would you guys recommend for a mountain rifle hunting scope? I want a quality scope with weight being one of my main concerns. Thanks in advance for all your replies.
I have a vortex tactical 4x16x44 on my Amercan Ruger in 243. Works great for hunting

I just picked up a 4-16x44 Zeiss V4. The clarity is good and light transmission. It does seem kinda picky at 16x though. Turrets are nice and positive but haven't gotten to stretch it out and check the tracking. I was between it and the VX-5 3-15x44 but I got a better deal on the V4.

What weight range are you looking for?

What about a Leupold Mark 5 or 6 3.6-18x44 or thereabouts? New they may be out of your price range but if you shop around a bit and have time, you'd be there on a used one. A step up from that, the NX8 or March 3-24x42; if you could find a deal

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.