Mountain Mulies / 30.06 Grain Choice

Nvhunter

Last year I handloaded Speer 165 Gr Spitzer Boat Tails with H414 - 50 Grains and Standard Large rifle primers. Good results. 8000 Ft elevation, 275 Yds 32 degree uphill slope. 4X4 Mulie in the freezer & no damage to the meat.

This load is a reduced load for that cartridge. I am looking for less drop between 200-500Yds this year.

I am going to increase the speed of the round initially by increasing the H-414 Grain charge while initially sticking with the 165gr SPBT Speer bullets. I may move to a lighter bullet with a better BC, but I do not want to loose the stability in winds by moving to a bullet that is too light for wind @ 15-40 Knts.

What have you other 30.06 shooters found to be a good performing handload. IE. Bullet manufacturer, Bullet weight and style, Powder type and charge, primer.

Your feedback is appreciated.

I haven't shot 30-06 for years but mine liked the 165 gr Ballistic Tips. Stay as heavy as you can, your gun should tell you what it likes, not what you like. Speed isn't everything, accuracy is!

Good luck this year, what area do you hunt?

30.06 load

Well, I am not primarily looking for an increase in speed. Primarily because I have yet to find game that can outrun any bullet.

I hunt in the Nevada Mountains, any area of the state where I can get tagged. Mulie, Elk, Antelope, Mountain Lion in addition to Quail, Dove, Chuckar, Rabbit and hopefully - some year Himalayan Snowcock.

What I am looking for is improved flight path while still retaining some (not all) resistance to change in path due to wind. Operating a reduced load currently results in a (approx) 25 inch drop sighting from a 200 yd Zero shooting at a 300 yd target. Rightfully so, 50gr H414 combined with 165gr bullet is like lobbing a mortar round flight path. That is pushing that round at its very lower limits. The advantage is - it is proven as a meat harvester and does very little damage.

All in all, I think the best results may come from a combination of things, not one single factor.

As far as getting drastic improvements in the .308 cal (30.06 chamber) I know that this caliber has limits, as do all. I also have a 7STW that I am building - that will give me the looong flat flight path that I want. However, that too comes with its limitations and tradeoffs.

Last edited:
What have you other 30.06 shooters found to be a good performing handload. IE. Bullet manufacturer, Bullet weight and style, Powder type and charge, primer. Your feedback is appreciated.

180 AB, H4350, Lapua, Fed 210 Match

185 Berger VLD, Varget, Lapua, Fed 210 Match

168 TTSX, Re19, WW, Fed 210 Match

180 Speer spitzer, IMR4064, WW, Fed 210 Match

180 TSX/TTSX, Re22, Lapua or WW, Fed 210 Match

165 Sierra HPBT Gameking, IMR4350, WW, Fed 210 Match

168 TSX, H4350 or AA2520, WW, Fed 210 Match

165 Btip, Vihtavuori N160, WW, Fed 210 Match

The 150 gr .308 E-Tip has a bc of .469 as per Nosler. The 150 gr 7mm has a bc of .498. Still pretty impressive for a 150 gr .30 caliber bullet. I'm playing with the 180's in my .300 RUM. mtmuley

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts