Mount and rings recommendations

Belgianboy

Hi I just purchased a winchester super grade and am wondering what mounts would work best for this gun as the barrell is rounded as well as tapped. I would be interested in 1 or 2 piece but would probably lean towards the 2 piece. Any suggestions appreciated

This is what works well for me! Not everyone will agree with it. I use a rail system. Then find the rings to fit the right height. If it's long range get a ten to twenty moa rail, medium ring height for 40 to 44 MM bell. High rings for 50 mm and larger. If its not to be a long range rifle use a 0 MOA rail Hope this helps you.

I too like the one piece rail.

My preferred is from EGW.
www.egwguns.com
Depending upon how far you plan to shoot, either the zero or 20MOA.
Since their rails are kinda tall, you can get away with using low rings with up through a 50mm objective.
Teamed with their Keystone line of rings, and you have one solid setup!
Plus 10% off if you buy rail & rings together.

Hi I just purchased a winchester super grade and am wondering what mounts would work best for this gun as the barrell is rounded as well as tapped. I would be interested in 1 or 2 piece but would probably lean towards the 2 piece. Any suggestions appreciated
04F70125-10F6-406E-91C1-4BD3FD46320B.jpeg

So this is my 264 WM Supergrade. I used Winchesters recommended (back then) one piece Talley Gloss Rings for my no longer available Gloss Leupold scope. I prefer this "traditional" look. YMMV. But my understanding Talley still makes these. Good luck with your rifle, they are classics.

I would consider Talley one piece. Simple, lightweight, and will help in getting the scope placed lower to the barrel than most rail and ring arrangements

View attachment 460457
So this is my 264 WM Supergrade. I used Winchesters recommended (back then) one piece Talley Gloss Rings for my no longer available Gloss Leupold scope. I prefer this "traditional" look. YMMV. But my understanding Talley still makes these. Good luck with your rifle, they are classics.
Sorry I did not add that these are Talley one piece rings.

Burris Signature dovetail 2-piece. Self aligning, don't mar the scope, come with different offset inserts so you might not need special mounts for XLR shooting. I use them on my pre-'64 westerner in 264WM with a Zeiss 56mm objective scope. Rock solid.

You'll need to decide that's visually appealing to you.

Two piece base and a more traditional style ring.

One piece base and a more modern ring that fits the rail.

Outside of how they look, deciding at what distance you expect to be shooting would help point you in a direction. As others have mentioned a One piece base easily allow to add 10 or 20 MOA

M.

I think a rail would be more rigid than 2 piece bases. And they allow better variability in positioning rings on the scope. That said, most of my rifles have 2 piece setups.

For a more "modern" setup, my recommendation would be to absolutely start with a 20 moa pic rail that has a recoil lug. From there, quality rings of your choice. As far as height goes, I consider the "low as possible" ideology to be extremely antiquated. Modern rifle setups absolutely allow for more upright, comfortable head positioning. Additionally, more modern optics with larger bells may require it.

You need to base your scope height off of the non negotiable items first which are your barrel contour and bell diameter. You'll need to consider how dramatic an angle the tube takes to the maximum od of the bell as well since this will dictate how far back you can pull the scope on the rail for proper eye relief. From there, if you have an adjustable cheek piece I would suggest going to somewhere around a 1.5" height if possible as it is far superior for any sort of positional shooting. Otherwise, if you do not have an adjustable comb you're going to need to figure out where your eyes fall and try to best match that for a comfortable height within the limitatjons of the fore mentioned non negotiable items. Everyone's face structure is different.

BelgianBoy, the only comment I would add to the Canted Pic Rails, is to confirm that the scope you choose has the available vertical adjustment for the planned rail cant. Most scopes of 30MM tubes or greater may have enough adjustment which is the reason there are larger diameter main tubes which house the mechanics for these needed adjustments. A simple email to the manufacturer will solve this for you. Good luck with your decision.

I too like the one piece rail.

My preferred is from EGW.
www.egwguns.com
Depending upon how far you plan to shoot, either the zero or 20MOA.
Since their rails are kinda tall, you can get away with using low rings with up through a 50mm objective.
Teamed with their Keystone line of rings, and you have one solid setup!
Plus 10% off if you buy rail & rings together.
I've used some EGW products. Always had good luck.