Most accurate hunting load in Savage 110 300WM?

encoreguy

I just ordered a Savage 110HS in 300wm for an Elk hunt in October. It will be awhile before I get it 4 + weeks. Yes I can get it quicker elsewhere and yes I should have ordered it earlier but this is the situation I am in. I will not have time to build reloads for it so I may be forced to use factory ammo. Anyone have this gun that found a particular factory hunting round that shot good out of it? Thanks!

I just ordered a Savage 110HS in 300wm for an Elk hunt in October. It will be awhile before I get it 4 + weeks. Yes I can get it quicker elsewhere and yes I should have ordered it earlier but this is the situation I am in. I will not have time to build reloads for it so I may be forced to use factory ammo. Anyone have this gun that found a particular factory hunting round that shot good out of it? Thanks!

Most commercial hunting loads fall far short of the real potential of the .300 WM, which is realized by shooting high BC 200+ grain bullets at 2800 fps and up.

You need to go to the range at least once even with factory ammo, so you also have the option to work up a quick hand load. Pick a good 200+ grain high BC bullet. We like the 208 AMAX, but the heavy Nosler ABLR isn't bad. Load 5 shots each with increasing loads of an appropriate, slow, extruded powder: H1000, H4831, or Retumbo would be a good choice if you can find them. Take care when you shoot for groups to note the different POIs so you can simultaneously determine your scope adjustments for the load that shoots more accurately.

This approach will give you a serviceable load in one trip to the range, and this load will likely perform better than the factory loads you might buy. It will not provide a fully wrung out long range load, but you'll be closer to that end in the longer term.

I have a savage 110, but as far as loads Michael is correct you will have to get it out and shoot it to see what YOUR RIFLE likes. Mine liked the 210 and 215 bergers the best and that's what i stocked up in but yours may be different.

What distances are we talking about here? Anything past 300 yards, I would try some of the ne ABM ammo. It is ammo backed by Bryan Litz and Berger are involved.

They have the Berger 185 Classic Hunter and 230 Match Hybris available. If lucky one of those might shoot really well in the rifle.

300 Winchester Magnum

What distances are we talking about here? Anything past 300 yards, I would try some of the ne ABM ammo. It is ammo backed by Bryan Litz and Berger are involved.

They have the Berger 185 Classic Hunter and 230 Match Hybris available. If lucky one of those might shoot really well in the rifle.

300 Winchester Magnum

Have you tried this ammo yourself, or are you just a walking billboard?

Have you tried this ammo yourself, or are you just a walking billboard?

Walking billboard. :) I was just thinking that in a bind the stuff might work. Don't know where else you could get the 230s as loaded ammo and hybrid or classic bullet profiles might shoot better in factory ammo than some of the VLD stuff from HSM. I have shot VLD HSM in 25-06 and it didn't work well at all and I assume it is because of seating depth.

Walking billboard. :) I was just thinking that in a bind the stuff might work. Don't know where else you could get the 230s as loaded ammo and hybrid or classic bullet profiles might shoot better in factory ammo than some of the VLD stuff from HSM. I have shot VLD HSM in 25-06 and it didn't work well at all and I assume it is because of seating depth.

The 115 VLD in 25-06 had issues for us. Accuracy was good, but it failed to expand on game.

I'm not sure I'd recommend target or OTM bullets on game unless they have been thoroughly vetted first. Some bullets like the AMAX line have been shown to work well, and of course, the VLD hunting bullets. But the target bullets have thicker jackets and may not expand.

Thanks for the replies so far. I would love to reload and if I get the rifle in time I plan to do so. The other problem is finding brass, powder, primers and bullets. I would never dream of just buying one load and not testing it. I was hoping to get some input on some good hunting factory ammo to narrow my trial loads down. Also any recommendations on which hunting bullets to buy to build loads for?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.