Mosin Nagant Value

Leaf Litter

Anybody know what Mosins are going for these days? or potentially talk me out of selling it? I think they've gone up significantly since I bought it in high school so I don't have a clue on price.

It's an Izhevsk M44 from 1944, good condition, matching numbers, bayonet and sling attached. Functionally perfect with just a couple really small dings on the stock.

Ultimately I haven't shot it in over a decade and it just takes up space in an already overstuffed house. Now that I have a baby I'll need to get a gun safe before she becomes mobile and cutting the mosin and a couple crusty old 22s that don't cycle will reduce my size requirement. It's a super cool gun, I just don't have any practical use for it. The money would be reinvested in an optics upgrade for one of the rifles that gets used regularly. I appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Cheers

Anybody know what Mosins are going for these days? or potentially talk me out of selling it? I think they've gone up significantly since I bought it in high school so I don't have a clue on price.

It's an Izhevsk M44 from 1944, good condition, matching numbers, bayonet and sling attached. Functionally perfect with just a couple really small dings on the stock.

Ultimately I haven't shot it in over a decade and it just takes up space in an already overstuffed house. Now that I have a baby I'll need to get a gun safe before she becomes mobile and cutting the mosin and a couple crusty old 22s that don't cycle will reduce my size requirement. It's a super cool gun, I just don't have any practical use for it. The money would be reinvested in an optics upgrade for one of the rifles that gets used regularly. I appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Cheers
This should give you a rough idea.

M44s are much more valuable than garden variety 91/30s simply because there were far fewer made. Having said that, condition will be very important in determining value. An unfired all matching numbers example should attract collectors that will pay a premium. Your best bet is to use the Gun Broker advanced search function and look for what items that match the description actually sold for recently.

Thanks guys.

I've certainly fired this rifle a lot, but other than that it's in pretty good condition.

I may have to test the waters, but something tells me the cooling of the used firearms market of late will hurt interest. We'll see.

Moisin-Nagants are an interesting collecting culture and just because it's an M 44 is only the start the markings make the rifle.

Several boards exist where elite and advanced collector's hang out and do your research. Things to find out is was the rifle a conversion of a different model, or a capture and reissue.

For instance I know of Model 91 that was made for the Czars army, captured by the the German army WW1, issued to the Weimar Republic (proper proof marks and stock stamps) given to Finland by the Germans as military aid (pre WW2) and rebuilt 2 piece stock proper sling swivels (D stamps for heavy ball and proofs) and then captured by the Soviets and used by them ( appropriate proof and acceptance marks verified) which makes it somewhat of a rare/unusual specimen and is probably one of the stars of that particular collection.

Then you have converted dragons and heavy wall receivers , later builds made on recycled American and French actions etc. Converted snipers PE, PEM,PU etc....

Do your research first and foremost you just might have a diamond in the rough.

I'm fairly certain it's just a standard m44. No star from Tula, no other markings that would indicate German/Finish/other ownership. I bought it from fleet farm in 2004

That's the funny thing about markings, have you had it out of the stock and looked at the bottom of the receiver? Compared it to other actions? Some M38 were converted over to M44 and save for markings on the bottom of the receiver which help to tell when the receiver was made you don't know. Did your rifle go thru refurbishment, many were done in ukraine and have a small mark on the stock, is your stock laminated, blond or dark. Was it issued to one of the various Warsaw Pacts or did it sit in War Reserve in the Soviet Union?

There are a lot of small marks some on the metal some on the wood, that can tell you chapter and verse where a Moisin-Nagant has been and even slight variations in furniture and metal, bayonet, screws, bayonet lock even style and slight variations of the bayonet itself.

Mausers and Moisin-Nagants have more variations than dog's seemingly have fleas, so while it may seem to be a plain Jane vanilla rifle. I would still recommend some research, you never know.