Brass salvage value

Varmint Hunter

I posted some time ago inquiring about the value of my saved (but exhausted) brass cases. IIRC the value was listed on an internet source at about $2.20/lb. That's a bit less than I expected but it is, what it is.
Today, I lugged my carefully weighed 40lbs of Lapua, ADG, and common brass down to the large salvage place that's not too far from my home. The guy tells me that the salvage rate for brass is $1.35/lb. WHAT! :eek:

I'm anxious to get all this brass away from my reloading area so I tell the guy, "fine". He weighs my brass on a scale made to weigh large pallets of junk and comes up with 38lbs. :rolleyes: I tell him "fine" again and he tells me to go to the window and they'll give you cash. The guy in the booth hands me $38. I tell him that the sign reads $1.35/lb. He sais, 'that's for brass, we pay $1/lb for cases.

Somehow, I think I got hornswoggled at every turn of that deal, but my wife will be happy that I'm cleaning up my area. I wonder what it will take to get her to clean up her area. 🤣😂🤣

And you probably spent that in gas to get there/back.

I did the same thing with cast aluminum a few years back-- scrapped a 1/2 dozen cast alum transmission cases and probably a couple hundred pounds of steel gears and walked out with $23 cash in hand yet it was 60 miles round trip to the scrap yard in my 15mpg truck..

Scrap prices have tanked so much that if you have a junk car and can piece it out you'll walk away with more than scrap - and no need to tow it either--especially with the going rate of used cars.

I posted some time ago inquiring about the value of my saved (but exhausted) brass cases. IIRC the value was listed on an internet source at about $2.20/lb. That's a bit less than I expected but it is, what it is.
Today, I lugged my carefully weighed 40lbs of Lapua, ADG, and common brass down to the large salvage place that's not too far from my home. The guy tells me that the salvage rate for brass is $1.35/lb. WHAT! :eek:

I'm anxious to get all this brass away from my reloading area so I tell the guy, "fine". He weighs my brass on a scale made to weigh large pallets of junk and comes up with 38lbs. :rolleyes: I tell him "fine" again and he tells me to go to the window and they'll give you cash. The guy in the booth hands me $38. I tell him that the sign reads $1.35/lb. He sais, 'that's for brass, we pay $1/lb for cases.

Somehow, I think I got hornswoggled at every turn of that deal, but my wife will be happy that I'm cleaning up my area. I wonder what it will take to get her to clean up her area. 🤣😂🤣
That's about what it goes for around here in Tennessee

I know how you feel. I took 126 lbs. of copper wire, associated to scraper and took home just over $20. Then got insulted and treated like a criminal. I'll throw it away before I go to that place again.

I know how you feel. I took 126 lbs. of copper wire, associated to scraper and took home just over $20. Then got insulted and treated like a criminal. I'll throw it away before I go to that place again.

Being offered $20 for 126lbs is just ridiculous. Insulated copper wire definitely pays less for obvious reasons, but if it's just plain wire you should have gotten close to $2/lb IMO.

At the $1/lb that I was given, I'd rather leave all of my brass at the club and let them sell it. I have no idea what they get. The only problem is that someone will see all that high end brass and grab it, even though it has been exhausted by my standards.

I crush my "spent" brass necks with pliers just to insure its scrap all the way. I did same and my scrapper told me if primers removed, gave a little more. Like you had 5 gal pail by bench and crushed as I got done with them. Basically it wasn't worth the effort.

I crush my "spent" brass necks with pliers just to insure its scrap all the way. I did same and my scrapper told me if primers removed, gave a little more. Like you had 5 gal pail by bench and crushed as I got done with them. Basically it wasn't worth the effort.
I wonder why primers removed would give more? As far as I know primers are made of brass.

a

Our Country is turned upside down.
Supply Chain is way over priced. USA is selling our scrap to China at lowest prices, China is selling back metal to USA at Highest Prices.
I remember when Obama canceled all Government contracts for used Cartridge Brass to Civilian Reloading Manufactures and then sold to China.

We have several buckets of 7.62, 5.56 once fire brass that we got from a Large Match. Will be keeping that brass for when the Brass shortage comes.
You could also take your spent brass and get it melted down into Brass blocks/Rods. Then turn on a Lathe or Mill.
Had a good friend make us a Front Rest from melted down Range Brass.

Took some 70 30 copper nickel in October that got near 4 a pound but it was known quantity alloy from a keel cooler that met an untimely demise at the hand of an inconveniently placed rock. Had a 5 gallon pail of cull brass. I'm not sure the brass pail payed for the gas to drive across town.