Mosin nagant rebarrell?

Steelflight

So bare with me. This has been on my mind. I have been thinking it over and reading alot. But Im considering rebarreling. My mosin for .308 . keeping the shell 7.62x54r.

What twist should I have? Im staying on the 180 -200 grain end of things. Thanks

the Finnish Mosin Nagants prior to the model 39 were all .308 diameter 7.62x53r (not .310) designed to fire the Finnish S-type rounds. maybe you should look into that Tikka/Sako/Valmet research. For some reason they chose 1/12 for 185gr bullets. Lots of info on the finnish mosins on the internet.

Last edited:
True a 2 twist will do 185gr, but he is wanting the ability to shoot heavier pills as well, a 10 twist will allow anything 168gr and heavier to about 220gr

I do them regularly.
For handloaders, always .308 groove dia barrels.
There's obviously a huge number of .308 bullets, vs the lone .311 SMK for target and a few hunting bullets in that diameter. Just need to change out the expander ball in the die.

I've found the lighter (175's) shoot best, but every barrel's different as we know.

I do them regularly.
For handloaders, always .308 groove dia barrels.
There's obviously a huge number of .308 bullets, vs the lone .311 SMK for target and a few hunting bullets in that diameter. Just need to change out the expander ball in the die.

I've found the lighter (175's) shoot best, but every barrel's different as we know.
Funny you should say this. Mine right now likes to eat heavy. I always figured it was do to the 1:9.5 " twist. Would it be worth it to keep this twist?

I generally use a 10 twist for these in .308.
91/30's had a 9-1/2, the Finn M28's had a 10.
Maybe someone makes a .30 cal in 9-1/2, but I'm not aware of it (I use Shilen and McGowen for these rebarrels).
A 10 twist is generally fine for up to 220's.

If you read the history of the ammo from the M91, to the M91/30, and the Finns- it varied greatly. Started with 212, then 15 years later went to light ball 147, then 1930 went to heavy ball 182- so there's been a lot of variation over the past 125 years.

Good luck with the project if you go forward with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.