More News on the 6.5 Creedmoor: U.S. Military and DHS

It makes sense. Most guys are trained to shoot out to 1000. The military at least the usmc calls the 7.62 effective out to 800 with a bolt gun. If switching to 6.5 cm helps a bit with trajectory and wind drift then why not provide a rifle that will increase 1st round impacts? These guys are not created equal and anything that will help the average end user should be considered. They have access to other platforms and calibers. No one jumps up and down volunteering to carry a m107 up a mountain. The lighter and easier the rifle is to shoot, the better. You really think a 147 to the chest won't do the same as a 175 smk? Both will kill you.

I'd assume Bullets in the 120-129 Grain realm would be the emphasis. More importantly which bullets best penetrate Body Armor.

morning, the 308 is going by the way side??
absolutely NOT. ONE of the historic rounds
EVER invented. Long live the 308 cartridge-caliber!!!
more 6.5 hoopla. justme gbot tum

Wayside as in the military not using it. Not wayside in popularity. The big issue will be getting NATO forces to standardize it. Euro forces are still using rifles and MG from the 70s and 80s. I can only see this as a long drawn out process.

Maybe not for Socom but for Forcom definitely a long a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wayside as in the military not using it. Not wayside in popularity. The big issue will be getting NATO forces to standardize it. Euro forces are still using rifles and MG from the 70s and 80s. I can only see this as a long drawn out process.

Maybe not for Socom but for Forcom definitely a long a time.
Once the supply chain for the 6.5 gains capacity I think the flash to bang will be pretty quick. Wildly be performance and slightly cheaper due to the cost of copper and lead. An increase in point and area targets of 25% with the 140 v 147 in a belt feed is hard to ignore.

morning, the 308 is going by the way side??
absolutely NOT. ONE of the historic rounds
EVER invented. Long live the 308 cartridge-caliber!!!
more 6.5 hoopla. justme gbot tum
In my small world the 308 is used by guys that want a participation trophy. I still have a couple of them actually but only shoot them when I feel nostalgic.

Many statements here are kinda off the charts, for example the swede initially came out with rounded blunt nose bullets. Nothing close to what's available today. As far as the .308 dying, that is kinda ridiculous as well as the .308 is my primary commercial Cartridge and Millions of Hunters just like me. There are many so called better Cartridges like the 7mm-08 or the .338 Federal, but neither have me scampering off to replace my .308 Hunter as it performs rather well at average Hunting ranges.