More Hog hunting

J E Custom

I saw this and though everyone would get a kick out of it, (On My Bucket list).

Enjoy

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by a moderator:
I might have to scratch it off my list, as it doesn't seem to be going away on it's on.

I hear you.

I know it looks a little like over kill, but we have so many hogs there is no such thing as over kill.

We typically see at least at 10 to 12 pigs per litter and 3 litters a year per breading pairs, Also they normally have half sows and the other half are boars so from a single breading pair they can produce
10, then there of springs can produce 50 breading pairs, that can produce 250 breading pairs the first year.

The number goes up rapidly if they are not controlled.

So I want to do my share.

J E CUSTOM

I turn 60 next year, and I've been looking seriously at celebrating with a present to myself. One outfit does help in the days and night vision after hours. This is the current front runner for doing something silly before it's all illegal.

Gents before I start this...I just want to say I try to respect all view points and understand why hunters try different methods for hunting. BUT does anyone see any ethical or moral issues with this? I'm only asking to see your insight. I'm an avid hog hunter, and want to hear your views for this hunting method. Thanks for your time.

if i had a chance to shoot pigs from a chopper you'd have to blast me out of the seat to get your turn!

Gents before I start this...I just want to say I try to respect all view points and understand why hunters try different methods for hunting. BUT does anyone see any ethical or moral issues with this? I'm only asking to see your insight. I'm an avid hog hunter, and want to hear your views for this hunting method. Thanks for your time.

Actually no I don't have a problem with it. In this particular time and place this is pest control. These pigs are going down regardless, to me seems a better solution than poisons. I've shot sage rat in alfalfa fields, again one way, or the other they need to be gone.

I've seen my grandmother raise holy hell with pheasant hunters asking permission, and turn around and have the field crop dusted. Birds ended up dead both ways.

A serious question, I always asked her and I'll ask you is it the folks having a good time that bothers you?

There are many destructive species with a reproductive rate high enough that extreme measures are required to keep them in check.

A serious question, I always asked her and I'll ask you is it the folks having a good time that bothers you?

There are many destructive species with a reproductive rate high enough that extreme measures are required to keep them in check.

No HARPERC, it's not the folks having a good time, bc I love hog hunting. It's more of a question on the grounds of fair chase. The thing that bothers me is from the video it looks like the hogs are at the mercy of magazine capacity and speed as opposed to stalking skill and shot placement. Once again I would like to reiterate I'm not judging, and from one hunter to the next just asking to see your stance on the matter.

Once again I would like to reiterate I'm not judging, and from one hunter to the next just asking to see your stance on the matter.

Thanks for the answer, I'm also just trying to understand.

I don't think of it as fair chase or sporting, it's pest control. A certain amount of the appeal to me is probably due to the fact it's neither one of these. It looks like unrestrained fun.

I've started youngsters on a hog hunt that wasn't as wild as maybe they thought (read canned) but it gave them an experience to build on. In the spring I hope to take a couple of kids to shoot rats, purely for the marksmanship experience. Some folks kill bison for the meat, and take a time to have an experience that connects with something pretty old-filling a freezer for the family. I understand back when the reservation system started, and cattle were issued, some chose to kill them from horseback, nothing about practical in it, but it filled a need to connect with something old.

At our core we're predators, if it runs we chase it. I think there is a place in our head that for even a few seconds likes being turned loose. It doesn't have to make sense, I'd love to take a Nantucket sleigh ride, run a couple of thousand buffalo over a cliff. Instead I scour the regulations, apply for permits I'll never draw, take kids to hunter safety courses, and try to stay within the accepted social norm. In its place and time helicopter, and night vision can be just fun.

I'm betting we could hog hunt by your rules and have a great time. There are lots of ways and reasons to do things none, satisfy everyone.

Thanks for the answer, I'm also just trying to understand.

I don't think of it as fair chase or sporting, it's pest control. A certain amount of the appeal to me is probably due to the fact it's neither one of these. It looks like unrestrained fun.

I've started youngsters on a hog hunt that wasn't as wild as maybe they thought (read canned) but it gave them an experience to build on. In the spring I hope to take a couple of kids to shoot rats, purely for the marksmanship experience. Some folks kill bison for the meat, and take a time to have an experience that connects with something pretty old-filling a freezer for the family. I understand back when the reservation system started, and cattle were issued, some chose to kill them from horseback, nothing about practical in it, but it filled a need to connect with something old.

At our core we're predators, if it runs we chase it. I think there is a place in our head that for even a few seconds likes being turned loose. It doesn't have to make sense, I'd love to take a Nantucket sleigh ride, run a couple of thousand buffalo over a cliff. Instead I scour the regulations, apply for permits I'll never draw, take kids to hunter safety courses, and try to stay within the accepted social norm. In its place and time helicopter, and night vision can be just fun.

I'm betting we could hog hunt by your rules and have a great time. There are lots of ways and reasons to do things none, satisfy everyone.

And that's why I love longrangehunting.com. Thanks for sharing.

You know i never like the idea of killing an animal just to kill it. I was raised eating what i kill and trying to avoid unnecessary suffering.

That being said,
Here in texas where the quail population is plummeting, chinese tallow trees are overtaking natural vegetation everywhere, deer populations are falling, and so many other issues are arising because of one invasive species, its time to do something.

A guy i work with was trying to hire some hunters around the shop to trap a hog in his neighborhood because he could not let his young boy outside to play in the yard. There was a 250-300lbs pig destroying his lawn and flowerbeds in broad daylight, and this is in the middle of rosenburg tx. A residential area where discharging firearms is prohibited.

Shooting pigs to thin the herd is becoming more and more necessary every year. When you listen to the other ideas the TPWD has for controlling the population shooting them is probably the most humane.

From the outside looking in, i can understand how it can look bad, but when your on the inside you get a different perspective of the situation.

A word from the inside:

A couple of years ago I baled about 250 round bales of hay. I estimated that I would need about 90 to get me through the winter so I sold the remaining bales for $60/bale. I moved 30 bales a mile to my house one day and something came up and delayed me from moving the others till 2 days later. In 2 days the hogs had destroyed all 60 bales so bad that they would come apart when I tried to load them. $3600 down the drain.

Yeah, I hate hogs. I've got more stories like this one too. I have killed/crippled more that 40 or more with my pickup and will continue to till it falls apart. That don't include the ones I've shot. Several times 40 a week. Fair chase to me is a 30MPH closure speed and the thump and squell of one or more going under my pickup. As Jackie Gleason used to say "How sweet it is."

Hogs are not "game" animals they are "feral" animals. They do not belong here!!!

I would love to find a farmer that needed that help I would spend all of my down time in Texas (helping). He'll it would give me a reason to get some good night vision.
Went on my first hog hunt a few years back and every year since. Actually giving up most of my hunting deer here in Michigan to spend more time in Florida hunting hogs. Can't wait to get back and do some more.
Also this heli hunt is on my bucket list. Maybe next year.

It is a good question and I think some have answered it well.

If you watched the Video you can see the problem. Most Helicopter flights last 30 min to one hr.
and if you count the number of hogs seen (Some were double takes so don't count them twice) you
can see the problem. they are very very hard to manage populations and it takes extraordinary
actions to get results.

I am also a hog hunter and try to kill every hog I see (10 to 20 a year) and even though I like the hogs in the 30 to 100 pound class to eat, I find myself shooting the big sows and boars to try and keep the numbers down. IT IS NOT WORKING.

I consider my self an ethical hunter and pass on at least 90% of the game animals, but if you have seen the destruction and loss of game animals as we have hear in Texas you could understand
why most Texans would treat hogs like fire ants (Kill them all).

I suspect wolves will be the next thing we talk about like this.

I never judge someone's ethics, and just try to be the son my dad raised (I ate everything I shot as a kid and soon learned what to shoot and what not to shoot).

Man is the Apex predator and must take the role of managing the numbers of some animals that would otherwise get out of control like the hogs have. we also have the chore of preserving some animals that can be over hunted.

I realize that it is hard for someone in the north to imagine the numbers we have and how fast the population can grow,
so there opinion would probably be different than down in the south (We would like to share our pigs with them) but they would find the same problem with them as we do so I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Just my opinion on hogs.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.