More help with Weatherby 30-378

RyanG

Ok so I have settled on the 180 grain accubond bullet for my upcoming elk hunt. I have been working up a load to shoot out of my Weatherby Accumark..... I had some issues with the bergers grouping under 2" and I just dont have the time to work them out, so I settled on the accubond....

My question is: the Nosler manual says that the MAX load is 100 grains of H1000 for the 180 grain bullet..... the Hodgen site says that the STARTING load is 105 Grains of H1000.... So which one is right and where should I start?

Thanks

Ryan

I would start a little under 95 grains and work your way up until you see pressure signs. Perform a simple ladder test in 1 grain increments and kill two birds with one stone. Just a simple recommendation, I assume you might have a 1-10 twist with is most common in the 30-378 weatherby's, I would recommend trying the 200 grainers which is where I've had the most luck. With the 200 accs and 210 bergers, I believe my most accurate groups were around 98 grains of H1000 (without having my spreadsheet for reference).

I'm not seeing any data on Hodgdons site for a 180 accubond, only the 200 grain. You
aren't using another bullets data are you? Bullets have much different bearing surfaces
and therefore create different pressures. Don't mix them up.

As I mentioned i a previous post, I was using Nosler load info for the 200 grain. For the 200 acc, H1000 start load was 95 gr to a 99 gr max. Therefore, I would think you would be plenty safe to start around 95 gr or slightly less when working up a load in a ladder test. Just watch for pressure signs after each shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.