More GP 100 reloading…

YZ-80

I'm still playing around with the Ruger. Today, I went back with 12 rounds each loaded at 6.0 and 6.5 grains of Unique and a 158 grain Sierra JHC. No data in my Hornady or Nosler manuals on this combo but an on-line search revealed charges in the 6.0 to 6.5 grain range, running up to around 7.2 grains. It did OK at 15 and 25 yards (I guess). I have a question about Unique, as I've read that it burns really hot with heavy loads. Something about "forcing cone errosion"? Have any of you guys used this combination in your .357s long term with ill-effect? I like to be kind to my equipment. Can anybody Quick load the 6.0 and 6.5 charges and let me know what kind of speed and KE I'm getting? Any words of wisdom in general pertaining to alternate powders and bullet choices for whitetail?

Thanks!

E8EF840E-6FB8-4430-86AF-3A5AFF318ECE.jpeg
D4B2732D-2FE1-4180-8421-47EE65E31B06.jpeg

Number your cylinder holes with a sharpie, start on #1 each time and plot where each charge hole hits. It's not uncommon to see a revolver with a couple of holes that hit closer to each other than the other couple of holes. I have seen it in Smith, Colt, Dan Wesson, and Ruger. It helps with load development looking for very high levels of accuracy to use the same couple of charge holes that hit together, once you figure out which ones they are, and on the other side if you see no trend at all you then know it doesn't matter.

I have only owned 1 GP100 and it was a stainless 4", it was seriously accurate, around 2" at 100 with a 7x scope and a very heavy load of H110 using 158 hardcast SWC.

I haven't read that Unique is hard on forcing cones or anything else for that matter. Far be it from me to argue with the internet..... I find that Unique is much less prone to leading barrels and cylinders than pretty much everything else in the speed range. W231 is another good one but not as good as Unique. If Unique was "hot" it would lead barrels badly, guns would heat up faster, etc. I have seen exactly the opposite and I have burned probably at least 24 pounds of it in the last 20 years? It is my go to exclusively powder for a few different loads, it just works better.

For whitetails I would load a Speer Lawman 125 JHP if your shots are bow ranges and bow angles, I would load it really fast with H110/W296, or maybe 2400. I have several boxes and on sub 200# stuff it is I think maybe the best bullet out there. The only thing I would try to miss is the shoulder ball with this bullet, all other bone wouldn't be a concern at say 40 and in. If you want any angle performance and want to shoot a lot further I would pick a decent 158 JHP, and load it fast. XTP are in general very accurate and a great choice. Gold Dots and HST are also some of the best money can buy. You could also buy good defensive type ammo and use that, it will be really good on whitetails. Hard cast lead SWC and FP also kill well, about like a bow in my experience. A good 158 SWC running fast will go end to end on a whitetail.

Number your cylinder holes with a sharpie, start on #1 each time and plot where each charge hole hits. It's not uncommon to see a revolver with a couple of holes that hit closer to each other than the other couple of holes. I have seen it in Smith, Colt, Dan Wesson, and Ruger. It helps with load development looking for very high levels of accuracy to use the same couple of charge holes that hit together, once you figure out which ones they are, and on the other side if you see no trend at all you then know it doesn't matter.

I have only owned 1 GP100 and it was a stainless 4", it was seriously accurate, around 2" at 100 with a 7x scope and a very heavy load of H110 using 158 hardcast SWC.

I haven't read that Unique is hard on forcing cones or anything else for that matter. Far be it from me to argue with the internet..... I find that Unique is much less prone to leading barrels and cylinders than pretty much everything else in the speed range. W231 is another good one but not as good as Unique. If Unique was "hot" it would lead barrels badly, guns would heat up faster, etc. I have seen exactly the opposite and I have burned probably at least 24 pounds of it in the last 20 years? It is my go to exclusively powder for a few different loads, it just works better.

For whitetails I would load a Speer Lawman 125 JHP if your shots are bow ranges and bow angles, I would load it really fast with H110/W296, or maybe 2400. I have several boxes and on sub 200# stuff it is I think maybe the best bullet out there. The only thing I would try to miss is the shoulder ball with this bullet, all other bone wouldn't be a concern at say 40 and in. If you want any angle performance and want to shoot a lot further I would pick a decent 158 JHP, and load it fast. XTP are in general very accurate and a great choice. Gold Dots and HST are also some of the best money can buy. You could also buy good defensive type ammo and use that, it will be really good on whitetails. Hard cast lead SWC and FP also kill well, about like a bow in my experience. A good 158 SWC running fast will go end to end on a whitetail.
Thanks! This is very interesting, especially the idea about numbering the cylinder chambers. It makes sense that there would be variations with the cylinder chambers. We manipulate variables to .001 with rifles, why wouldn't the same apply to revolvers? I also appreciate the comments on Unique. It's always wise to get other opinions on info you get off the inter web! I have a good load with a 125 grain XTP (9 grains of Unique) that shoots well in the gun. I'm guessing it's in the 1,300 fps range but don't have any way to chrono it unless I strap my Magnetospeed to it, which would probably be ill-advised. My hunting would be from a ladder stand and I think I will limit myself to 20 yards. I was also shooting some factory Federal 158 grain JSPs that grouped reasonably at 25 yards too. Thank you again for your help!