10 gauge reloading

toptom60

I am in the process of currently get a sp10 and wanna start playing g around with some turkey loads when it shows up. We have a press and reloading manuals already. My dad's load for his sp was a 2.25 Oz lead load but we are curious about bumping up to 2.5 Oz lead for turkey just to try it . The bpi mighty 10 book has two loads for 2.5 Oz but they are both with alliant steel powder,which is impossible to find. I know not to switch powders but was just asking out if anyone had any manuals or recipes that had heavy lead loads like 2.5 Oz that took blue dot or other findable powders even Longshot.

What are you running for wads?
BP Pattern Driver?

I used to shoot a lot of 10 gauge. I know you asked about a really heavy load but this is the best patterning load I ever shot out of my SP-10. It would throw 95% patterns of 2 or 4 lead at 40 yards with the Remington full choke.

I found super heavy loads deformed a lot of shot and I ended up with equal pellets in pattern and much heavier recoil. This load would stone snow geese at 70 yards and mallards even higher if you could center a pattern. It was also more comfortable to shoot than the really heavy stuff. My dad grandpa and I all had SP-10's and shot this load before the lead ban.

Federal 3.5" Hull
Fed 209A Primer
42 grains Blue Dot
Ballistic Products Pattern Driver Wad
1 7/8 oz lead
Original Buffer

Depending on shot size you will need to put felt spacers in the bottom of the cup to get proper crimp.

Still have the load data off of the last box I ever shot.

Attachments

• 8C69CFBF-455E-4088-BF4B-11BD5D79DC49.jpeg
    8C69CFBF-455E-4088-BF4B-11BD5D79DC49.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 53