More Fall beauty in the East....

Frank in the Laurels

Rifle season begins on Halloween, and I'm looking forward to seeing some REAL monsters showing up at the check station this season. I've included the first field pics of the new pending State record typical 445 gross...and I know it's hard to believe but that record may not stand and who knows maybe the 455 nontypical may fall also...they are here for sure.
FB_IMG_1666372273341.jpg

FB_IMG_1666372289156.jpg
FB_IMG_1666534123739.jpg
FB_IMG_1666134596685.jpg
FB_IMG_1666640454681.jpg
FB_IMG_1665761893943.jpg
FB_IMG_1665160560728.jpg
FB_IMG_1665764332290.jpg
FB_IMG_1665950256544.jpg

FB_IMG_1666732628715.jpg

Again these pics are not all mine, we have a lot of very talented photographers shooting with cameras like myself..the last photo is inside the ELK Center..a beautiful visitor center for everyone to enjoy..

Last edited:
Great gene pool.
Is it? This brings up an interesting thought. We know that the current population in the east was re-introduced. I doubt any selective choices went into which elk were relocated. It's not like they grabbed a 400" bull or cows known to produce such monsters…
It's pretty easy in high fence situation to farm for certain traits obviously big antlers being top on that list.
Do we know how many different groups from different areas were brought in? What is really the "Gene Pool" we are talking about here.
I believe there is an island that had a single little 4 point buck as the only male introduced. The does clearly get a say in the gene pool as well, but I don't think There are 220" deer running around on that island.
Is it just age and nutrition at work here in spite of the genetics involved??

...I don't believe any elk have been brought in, in nearly 100 years that I know of and I wouldn't think they were selective in what they stuffed into those railroad cars back in the day...the elk range now is about 50x100 miles so it certainly is not an island and no high fences...quality of habitat, abundance of food and water sources year round, limited and low numbers of tags which leads to age, very high controls and monitoring of the herd and awesome public support and toleration of the expansion so far...guess it all adds up...actually getting ready to take my four year grandson to go look at them this morning..he was to little to take during my hunt but loves to hear bugles at 20 yards...have a great day everyone.
FB_IMG_1635936580637.jpg

Last edited:
...I don't believe any elk have been brought in, in nearly 100 years that I know of and I wouldn't think they were selective in what they stuffed into those railroad cars back in the day...the elk range now is about 50x100 miles so it certainly is not an island and no high fences...quality of habitat, abundance of food and water sources year round, limited and low numbers of tags which leads to age, very high controls and monitoring of the herd and awesome public support and toleration of the expansion so far...guess it all adds up...actually getting ready to take my four year grandson to go look at them this morning..he was to little to take during my hunt but loves to hear bugles at 20 yards...have a great day everyone.
View attachment 404922
Rifle season begins on Halloween, and I'm looking forward to seeing some REAL monsters showing up at the check station this season. I've included the first field pics of the new pending State record typical 445 gross...and I know it's hard to believe but that record may not stand and who knows maybe the 455 nontypical may fall also...they are here for sure.
View attachment 404679
View attachment 404671View attachment 404672View attachment 404673View attachment 404674View attachment 404675View attachment 404676View attachment 404677View attachment 404678
View attachment 404784
Again these pics are not all mine, we have a lot of very talented photographers shooting with cameras like myself..the last photo is inside the ELK Center..a beautiful visitor center for everyone to enjoy..
Love the pics.

I wonder if having access to mast makes for better antler development than would be the case in WY, where I don't believe the mast crop would be anywhere near as heavy. I know here a couple of hundred miles south of you in southern OH we are having an amazing mast crop this year. Acorns and beech nuts everywhere!

We have a family farm in Elk County west of St. Mary's. We're in the western edge of the elk range, I'm 65 and the elk herd has been growing in herd size and rack size, since they started the hunting seasons for them in the late 70s or so.