Montana hunt area in NE

wapiti13

Hi guys, Finally got a MT deer tag after several tries. Want to hunt mulies in the NE part of MT or ???. Anyone out there with input would be appreciated. Thinking of November time frame to get the rut to kick in. Have no plans at present other than starting to work with the MT website. Any input on good areas would get me started in right direction. Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wapiti,
After making a trip to eastern MT every year for the last several years to go mule deer hunting, I have noticed that the severity of the drought (sp?) is directly relative to antler size. If you are trophy hunting, you may want to keep your plans flexible, as far as where in MT you are going to hunt. Last year the drought caused poor antler growth. Western MT had great trophy mule deer last year.

I still plan a hunt to eastern MT regardless. The terrain is great for long shots, and you will see plenty of game. It is great for taking my 13 yr old daughter. Last year was her first hunt. She shot two mulies average distance 200 ish yards. Drilled them. I set her up with a Weatherby Vanguard youth model, comes with full size stock also. Shot factory Rem ammo @ 4" groups @ 100. NOT GOOD. So I hand loaded quick just before we left for a hunt 140grn AB's and it shot sub 1".

Go to MT FWP web site, I believe they have block management listings for private ground to hunt.

Have fun, Steve

Steve, What area are you hunting? MT is a big state and I am trying to zoom in on a general area where terrain and deer population is favorable for LRH. Antler size not critical.

Wapiti,
If you are looking for quality of the hunt, NE Montana down thru the Missouri breaks most any of that country should be good. Go on the MT FWP site and contact bioligist in the region that you choose. He can give a population forcast.

You may also have oportunity for over the counter B tags, depending on the area you are in.

At any rate, Eastern MT will give as long a shot oportunity as you want.

Good luck on your hunt, it should be one to remember.

Steve

Get the maps and look for areas of BLM land that you can get access to. The better areas are private and are hit and miss for access. If you can find a high point in most blm area you will probably get a chance to shoot as far as you care to.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.