Montana Bears

cooper89

I'm looking for a new spot to hunt spring bears in Montana this year. Hiked 8 miles in the stillwater country last spring saw lots of nice country and some sign but no bears. Thinking about northwest MT. Sounds like its the spot for spot and stalk. I'm willing to hike a few miles if I can see some bears. What do you guys think?

I am all about the pryors since they are not too far away usually they have like a 2 bear quota I think tho. I guess the early bird gets the worm.

Mike,
My wife and I spend many days per year in the Pryor mountains and surrounding foothills. We mainly camp, ride ATVs, and shoot long range. I do bear hunt a little each spring, but the female quota of 2 usually gets filled in the first 10-15 days. There are definitely bears in certain areas as we see them all the time, but the spring snows sometimes make it difficult to get to the good areas on the north side.
Ben

FYI, for those of us who love to bear hunt, there is a new organization for Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho called Yellowstone Country Bear HUNTER'S Association that I recently joined. You get access to an online magazine plus get 6 issues of Bear Hunting magazine mailed to you. I just got my first issue and was a good read. It is 30 dollars a year and they take up issues in the legislature that involve our interests as bear hunters in theses 3 states. Here is the link.
Yellowstone Country Bear Hunters
Joe Kondelis is the president and lives in Cody, Wyoming and seems to be great representative of what we bear hunters are all about.
If you join, tell him Ben Bishop from Laurel sent you.
Ben.

i live on the north end of the crazies and the south side of the belts there seam to be alot of bears around the last couple of year. and crazies are always real good.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.