moly bullets and cleaning

nelsonic

I'm reloading in order to find my 22-250's sweet spot...I'm using sierra 52g. moly match bullets...just how often is prudent to clean? every 5 rounds, 10, 15,etc...I use bore scrubber and aerokroil in combo...thanks

Don't clean the barrel until accuracy goes south. That may take a few hundred rds. Not joking.

If you are using a Hodgdon extreme powder like Varget, you will most likely clean long before it actually needs it.

When you clean, remove the powder fouling, the copper fouling but do not go back to bear metal. There is no benefit and removing the moly layer just means you will need more 'fouling' shots to replace.

For most of my cleaning, I run a dry Kleen Bore very stiff nylon brush back and forth a few times. Good to go. I do this every 40 to 60 rds and I shoot overbore cartridges in general.

Overcleaning is as bad as not cleaning enough. Let the barrel tell you what it wants.

Jerry

I must agree with Jerry, each barrel is a little different but it will tell you it needs to be cleaned. I have to clean the copper from the barrel way before powder fowling causes me problems.

fellas i have used moly since i started reloading my own stuff and i have had very good results with it i believe but i have been told on other forums that moly will cause rust in the barrel because it holds moisture - well i dont try to clean the moly out and like was mentioned before i only clean with a nylon brush and clean patch when i feel it needs it and as far as cleaning to the metal well i dont remember that last time i cleaned them that well lol unless i have a accuracy problem and as far as rust i may regret it one day when i see a barrel full of rust but ill tell ya i havent seen it yet but only been using moly for few years

[ QUOTE ]
Don't clean the barrel until accuracy goes south. That may take a few hundred rds. Not joking.

If you are using a Hodgdon extreme powder like Varget, you will most likely clean long before it actually needs it.

When you clean, remove the powder fouling, the copper fouling but do not go back to bear metal. There is no benefit and removing the moly layer just means you will need more 'fouling' shots to replace.

For most of my cleaning, I run a dry Kleen Bore very stiff nylon brush back and forth a few times. Good to go. I do this every 40 to 60 rds and I shoot overbore cartridges in general.

Overcleaning is as bad as not cleaning enough. Let the barrel tell you what it wants.

Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]I was going to respond to this but could not quit laughing was this Jerry Teo or Jerry Seinfeld's post ??
B.

Have yet to see moly rust any of my tubes and nothing negative about it. Though I do not see gains in barrel life. Did not expect that either.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.