Model Seven .308 thinking about rebarrelling

CLP308

I have a Model 7 I bought new in 1994 that is my deer rifle here in the thick woods of PA. It's not as accurate as it used to be. I have put over 3000 rounds through it, and killed all of my deer with that one gun. Looking to replace the 18" bbl with a 20" or 22" slightly heavier fluted bbl with a shorter throat. I want to add less than a half pound and would like some suggestions. Hart's custom rifles is 20 min down the road and I would most likely have them do the work. It will still serve as my deer rifle, but I want something that is a hair better at the range. I'm sticking with the .308 chambering because I have tons of reloading stuff for it. What twist? I use 168gr Barnes XLC BTHP's for hunting and was using Hornady 168gr BTHP match bullets for target. When dialed in for the Barnes the Hornady's hit 3.2" to the left and 1" lower. I switched to 150's for target this time and they are more accurate. Not sure what the factory twist is.
Thanks,
Chris

I am very happy with my barrel, its 1/12 rh 24" long chambered in .308. It seams to be a good combo for the 168's you load. As for the barrel make ill leave that to someone else whom knows more than I. Happy hunting.

Are you sure that it's the barrel life that is causing you the accuracy problems? Have you checked the crown? JMO, but I would check the crown first before I dumped a chunk of change on a new barrel. That is unless you just want a new barrel.

A lot of cases of accuracy issues, like yours, are usually related to a damaged crown. Not barrel life.

The factory twist should be 1:12"

If you are set on a new barrel, opt for a 1:10" twist on the 308 WIN.

I'll diverge from the others and recommend 1:11 twist. It is fast enough to stabilize everything up to and including 210grain bullets. In the end, it doesn't really matter if you go 1:11 or 1:10. Just don't go 1:12 as that will limit your bullet selection.

As for who should do the rebarrel, I would not recommend Hart in PA. Search LRH and will find many that have terrible experiences working with them. The 'other' Hart in New York is the better part of the family to work with.

Hart Rifle Barrels

The Surgeon is right about having your barrel crown checked-out. You might have unknowingly hit it on something causing a small 'defect'. Most gunsmiths will recrown your barrel for ~$50 or less.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.