Model 700 Mountain Rifle problem

IMR 4350 at 54.5 and 56.5 grains with 180 accubonds works in my 3006. I zeroed at 300 and it shoots 1.25 to 1.75 groups with 54.5/56.5. At 100 it shoots .35 and .65 54.5/56.5 respectively. I just shot for accuracy and didn't worry to much about velocity at the time. I actually prefered the 165's for recoil but the high BC of the 180 seemed better so I loaded it up. I never planned to shoot beyond 300 - 400 so I don't know if the BC is that important now. I think 165's were 450ish and the 180's are 507.

Brent....is your 30-06 a Model 700 Mtn rifle? if so, very impressive!

Well, I guess it is not designated that. It is a 700 bdl with the same basic design except it is not pillar and bedded factory stock. It is a wood standard stock. Light, accurate, and left handed.....or I mean correct handed. LOL

im a bit confused. Did you try 6 differnt loads with the same 180 grain bullet or one load with 6 differnt bullets. Either way youve only just begun a search for an accurate load. thing is i doubt anyone on here can give you the exact load thats going to work for you. Every gun is a differnt animal, especially thin barreled guns like the mountain rifles. You may get lucky early in load developement but it usually requires a good ammount of bench time to find a load for a gun like that that shoots moa.

Thanks for the reply. The loads were of different shapes, powders and manufactures. I was primarily trying to find out if anyone's 700 Mtn rifle would group 180 grain. Mine loves 150's. I was afraid that with the wimpy light barrel that 180's would be out of the question.

Correct me if I am wrong, but barrel whip is a function of harmonics timing at the time the bullet exits the muzzle. If I am correct, the harmonic wave needs to be more toward the action when the bullet leaves the muzzle which means the muzzle at that specific time is the most stable.

My 3006 has a light contour barrel for sure and it had two accuracy nodes at the time I worked up some loads. You might, if you feel like, take the powder you prefer and ladder test it, then seat the bullets to a good depth the rifle likes, then work up a load in increments of .5 grains to see if you find a node.

My 06 is at .015 off the lands I believe.

I used the barrel bedding technique I found in, "Sporting Rifles, A designer's Notebook,' to cure my lightweight 30-06 of this same problem. This technique allows varying the barrel dampening pressure at will until the "sweet spot" is located.
RF

We spent a lot of time on the range today. With the 180gr bullets (three handloads and one factory) the best we could get was about a 3 inch group at 100yrds. We varied the torque on the action screws a few inch lbs both up and down without any luck. Switched back to 150grs and shot two 1/2 MOA groups. We also tried 165 and 168gr loads. The 165's didn't perform but the 168's shot two groups of 1 MOA...not bad. I guess my 700 Mtn rifle just hates 180's.

Question: Should I stick with the 168's for elk or would I be OK with the 150's? I was sure hoping to get the 180's to group.

My buddy knocks elk dead with 150gr. accubonds out of a 06. A partition is hard to beat also.165 sierras has worked well for another friend of mine on elk. Shot placement IMO is everthing.

I agree! It doesn't matter the weight of the bullet if it isn't delivered to the right spot

Last edited:
where are you hunting elk? bulls? cows?? i would use a 165 partition or 165 sierra btsp and h-4350 or varget , lapua brass . also, elk have a quite large target area. 1/2" is not necessary. my rem 700 mtn rifle the bolt lug was rubbing when i closed the bolt. with the addition of only a single washer under the front guard screw it went from 2"-4" to .5".

where are you hunting elk? bulls? cows?? i would use a 165 partition or 165 sierra btsp and h-4350 or varget , lapua brass . also, elk have a quite large target area. 1/2" is not necessary. my rem 700 mtn rifle the bolt lug was rubbing when i closed the bolt. with the addition of only a single washer under the front guard screw it went from 2"-4" to .5".

Thanks for the reply

I plan to hunt in unit 28 in Colorado. That's just west of Denver somewhere. I plan to hunt bulls but on about day 5 a cow will pretty good too. I realize that the kill zone on an elk is bigger than on a whitetail but when I squeeze the trigger..I want to be confident of where bullet is going. I feel that my gun should be able to deliver the bullet within the reasonable capacity of the round. My feelings are that the 30-06 is a 300 yrd and closer round. Three inch groups at 100 from my rifle isn't good enough for me. I love the 1/2 MOA groups from the 150's but I think I should go with the 168's....at least my rifle will shoot them at MOA.

Sorry about any misspellings....this was sent from my iPhone

168 cbt or 168 berger?? the 168 berger did not make it through the rocky mtn bighorn ( 320 pounds) i shot. kilt it though.

My rifle liked the HSM Berger 168 HPBT VLD. You say you weren't happy with the bullets performance? If so...that's some good information!

it was only one animal. i carry 168's berger in my 30-06 . they are very accurate. i like a "soft bullet". the tsx is a tough bullet, you can go down a weight . they still will completely penetrate. any of the standard 150, 165, 180 or 200 btsp are fine. the lighter ones like a 150 btsp, or a "soft one" like the 168 berger i would know if THE ONLY shot i got was to take shot with a large bull facing directly away , let s just say not ideal, i would know a may have to shoot again . usually 30-06s shoot the 165-168, and the 180's better . a 165 btsp either horn or sierra, a 168 cbt or accubond, or a 165 partition, where i would start. kick less than a 180 , more energy than a 150. what 150 you shooting so good??

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts