mod current 7mm or buy new 308

PatRLTW

Morning,

BLUF (is it better to have 1 exceptional do all rifle or 2 good rifles?)

Big fan of the site. Anyway I currently have saved up some funding for a new gun project but I am stuck on my decision. I have a Vanguard 7mm that I would like to upgrade with a heavier barrel, new trigger, brake, and bottom metal for shooting (+600 m) and hunting (+400m) but when adding up the cost of the job I could also buy a stock varmint or tactical savage 10 or howa in 308 and share the glass.
I reload for both and I wouldnt shoot more then 2-3 hundred rounds a year but a-max's in 308 and varget are easier to find then in 7mm and h1000 (locally anyway).

I shoot a few hundred rounds a week with a carbine out to 300 so this project is mostly to scratch my long range/ precision itch when it comes up.

I would like to get the forums opinion on the topic. I ill keep the 7mm for elk no matter but is it better to have 1 exceptional do all rifle or 2 good rifles? Thanks

-Pat

btw i could call my own shots with a 308....

It all depends on if you want to rebarrel your magnum a lot... No magnum caliber will get anywhere near the barrel life a .308 Win does.

Shooting a magnum caliber at high volume, or a lot will burn the throat out relatively quickly. The reason being a mixture of high velocity, higher chamber pressures from slower burning powders, and a longer and hotter flame burning the throat from the larger amounts of powder the cases hold.

That being said, I have lots of magnum and big magnum caliber rifles but I don't shoot them a lot, other than during load development. Once I find my load, then I don't shoot them but on occasion at the range, but mostly while hunting.

I have 2 range-only rifles, and they are a pair of Remington 700 5R Milspecs. One is a 24" .308 Win, and the other is a 26" .300 WinMag. I do not hunt with them, they are strictly range and target toys.

So, my opinion on your situation is, that every serious shooter should have a range-only toy so he doesn't burn up his main hunting rifle.

Oh, and BTW, I'm a huge fan of the 7mm calibers, just ask anyone on here. :D

When the choice is mod or buy another, I always buy another.:D

IMO: The 7mm and .308 would serve 2 purposes better than one rifle trying to do double duty. The 7mm for hunting, pretty much anything except dangerous game, well maybe that, if it's bears, cats or wolfs. The .308 will last a loooong time unless you kill it on purpose, be great to experiment with loads and learn new things with without burning up the barrel.

I admit it, I'm an addict on this, I have too many rifles that fit in the same niche. Example: 300WSM, 300 Weatherby, 308/26-Nosler and 2 300RUMs.

This explaination of the symptoms of my addiction is only to share with you that like me and I'm positive like MudRunner2005 has the wonderful affliction as well, you could become infected.

or

Just get the 2 and find out how flexible the .308 can be with loads for varmints to moose to 1000 F-TR.

When the choice is mod or buy another, I always buy another.:D

IMO: The 7mm and .308 would serve 2 purposes better than one rifle trying to do double duty. The 7mm for hunting, pretty much anything except dangerous game, well maybe that, if it's bears, cats or wolfs. The .308 will last a loooong time unless you kill it on purpose, be great to experiment with loads and learn new things with without burning up the barrel.

I admit it, I'm an addict on this, I have too many rifles that fit in the same niche. Example: 300WSM, 300 Weatherby, 308/26-Nosler and 2 300RUMs.

This explaination of the symptoms of my addiction is only to share with you that like me and I'm positive like MudRunner2005 has the wonderful affliction as well, you could become infected.

or

Just get the 2 and find out how flexible the .308 can be with loads for varmints to moose to 1000 F-TR.

I only post a few bits and pieces of my collection... So, yes...I am afflicted with this "horrible disease" as well. :D:D:D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.