MOA Scope for PRS?

Autorotate19

Hi, Im looking at getting a FFP scope for PRS matches. My first match I used a NF NXS 5.5-22 with a MOAR reticle. I did pretty well considering it was SFP but definitely see the benefit of FFP. I really like Nightforce scopes but they don't offer a MOA reticle with Christmas tree style holdover reticle. As far as I can tell the only scope out there with a true hold over reticle in MOA is the Vortex. I typically dial my elevation but would like to be able to hold-over.

For those of you that compete in PRS style matches do you feel that not having a hold over type reticle such as a NF Moar would put me at a disadvantage? Also if anyone has any other suggestions of a manufacturer that offer hold over reticle in MOA would be great.

Thanks

yep, holding over with a sfp reticle can cause some problems, or at least involves a little math if not at full magnification. that said, two of my prs guns have the nxs 5.5-22 and haven't held me back too much. one thing you could do is get a sfp scope in the range of 3-18 or thereabouts, so that you'd more likely be a max magnification where holding over wouldn't be an issue because the reticle would be true at that magnification.

i did get a vortex 3-18ffp for my valkyrie gas gun and it is nice to not have to manage magnification for holding over.

I would bet that 99% of the PRS is Mill. I think moa would be handicap.

i've seen plenty of moa. the only handicap with moa is if everyone there is doing mil and giving you wind calls in mil. but again, everyone there is not doing mil. other than that, mil v moa is just french v spanish. bottom line is if you hit two hash marks to the left (whether those are mil or moa hash marks) you adjust two hash marks to get your hit.

i've seen plenty of moa. the only handicap with moa is if everyone there is doing mil and giving you wind calls in mil. but again, everyone there is not doing mil. other than that, mil v moa is just french v spanish. bottom line is if you hit two hash marks to the left (whether those are mil or moa hash marks) you adjust two hash marks to get your hit.
What method do you use to dope the wind for the FIRST shot with an MOA scope?

If you are seriousl about being competitive in PRS a FFP scope in MILS will be quite necessary. The match communications and course of fire(s) are oriented and designed around MiILS. While I prefer, and use MOA for hunting, and other shooting sports, using MOA proves to be quite cumbersome for the shooting scenario's encountered in PRS. IMO.

Thanks for all the replies. Iv been to a shoot and I was the only one using MOA. Talking to the other shooters as far as wind holds I didn't have any issue. The math is simple 3.5 moa to one mil so I'd do the math in my head.

If you are seriousl about being competitive in PRS a FFP scope in MILS will be quite necessary. The match communications and course of fire(s) are oriented and designed around MiILS. While I prefer, and use MOA for hunting, and other shooting sports, using MOA proves to be quite cumbersome for the shooting scenario's encountered in PRS. IMO.

Hi I was wondering what you mean about the course of fire being designed around mils? Thanks

Hi I was wondering what you mean about the course of fire being designed around mils? Thanks
For example, in a "reticle use only" stage, you may have 90 seconds to shoot mulitiple targets from 200 yards to 1000 yards. While this would be fairly easy with an MIL range of 0-7.5Mils with a typical cartridge(ie 6.5CM), dealing with 20-25 MOA is a more difficult task, if the particular scope even has that range on its reticle. If shooting a 308, you could be closer to 30MILs. Same issue applies to turrets. Most MIL turret values are within 1 turret revolution....MOA can go into a second(or more) revolution to dial a range in the sequence.This adds complexity and time. I have very rarely seen a shooter finish in time using MOA.

I see what you mean. That makes sense. I ended up ordering a Vortex Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27 with the MOA reticle. It has a holdover Christmas tree style reticle. One other thing that keeps me using Moa is I'm going to some of the team marksmanship challenges where you shoot in two man teams. My partner also uses MOA so it would really throw a wrench in our system if I used mils and he used moa. If I switched we would both have to switch.

I'm going to stick with what I know and use moa. If things don't go well I guess I will make the switch. Thanks for all the replies.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts