Misfire problems

I'll have the trigger looked at to make sure and try new primers after that.

Sp6x6,

I'm using the same 12 pcs of brass for all my load development. They've been fired 10 or 11 times each.

Thought I would throw out an update. As it turns out, the tiny marks I was seeing on my primers after a misfire were actually made from the hand priming tool I was using and not the firing pin. Never actually noticed them until I primed a few pieces of brass (no bullets or powder) and tested them. I could never get one of those to misfire. Only thing I noticed on those was that the dent on the primer was a lot more shallow than that from a fired loaded round. My assumption there was simply that since there was no powder, there was no backward force pressing the brass up against the firing pin, making the dent deeper.

I'm currently trying to find a new gunsmith. The guy that did my bedding has given up and simply tells me to send it back to Savage. Not exactly what I wanted to hear but it is what it is.

I'm now thinking it's the Accutrigger. I would simply replace it, but my only option is the Rifle Basix Sav-1 and with all the negative comments on the RB triggers I just don't want to replace the trigger with one that I still may not be able to rely on.

I had exactly the same problem with my Kimber .308. Just a small dimple on the primer, and it did not detonate. Tried some factory ammo, and there was never a similar misfire. You might try some factory ammo also.

The problem turned out to be I was creating excessive headspace when F/L sizing. I began neck sizing only and there was never a problem. When F/L sizing, use headspace guage as you very slowly lower the die until it just barely touches.

Gene... we did consider the headspace issue, and eliminated that by putting a piece of masking tape on case head and finding that the cartridge would not chamber with that .001" (or so) of extra thickness.

I wouldn't return the gun to Savage. They'll just keep it a few weeks and return it with a letter telling you either A) they couldn't find anything wrong or B) they fixed it, when in reality they didn't find anything wrong and are just telling you that...

It probably is the trigger. I'm assuming you took the bolt apart and inspected the firing pin and spring assembly (per videos linked).

On all of my Accutrigger, I pull the safety blade spring out from the top, and clip about 2 coils off it. This reduces the pressure needed to disengage that blade, and makes it easier to hold it back. That might solve your problem, once and for all. And it also makes the trigger that much lighter to pull.

Dan

Dan,

I did take the bolt apart and everything looked good. I'm a little cautious about taking the trigger apart. I don't really even know what to look for to figure out what might be wrong with it.

you don't have to take the trigger apart to lighten that safety blade spring. on my 110BA that spring was too heavy, and it caused the blade to resist the trigger pull too much.

all you have to do (if you choose to do it) is pull the blade spring loose at the top, clip a coil or two... then put it back in place.

Figured I would throw one last update out there since I received lots of advice.

I adjusted the trigger pull up and down and still had issues. Had another buddy of mine shoot it just in case it was the way I was pulling the trigger back. Misfires with him, too.

Finally gave up on it and bought a rifle basix trigger. Took 9 rounds out yesterday and every one of them fired.

One thing I will say to anyone who has the Sav-1. Be very careful with the safety! A few millimeters of a turn on the safety screw was the difference between the safety working and the gun firing while in the safety position. Seems a little dangerous to me. Might not be an issue for you bench shooters, but for those of you who hike the hills with a round in the chamber while hunting be careful!

The safety adjustment is very critical... but you wouldn't have to touch that to lighten the trigger pull with the Accutrigger...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.