H1000 Problems

Hogdon did not give me a variance percentage and the bottle appeared to be sealed when opened. The powder was H1000 as I never take any powder out of cabinet I'm not using...one powder on bench at a time. I also checked beam scale with digital scale. Just really weird but lesson learned. Thanks all for input and help.

I kinda feel like you got swindled at the gun show, but who knows. I think it's **** near impossible to stuff enough H1000 into a .243 case to get you to 3200fps. I've gone to 49 grains personally with a 105gr bullet and it was just over 3009fps out of a 26" barrel. The powder was well up into the neck of the case if I remember correctly, and yes it was some powder crunching while seating bullets.

I have seen lot to lot variations with H1000 that amounted to 100 fps difference in velocity with the same powder charge.

Between my 6mm Competition Match barrels and .243 I've burned about 80 lbs of H1000, more in my magnums. In my .243 right now with a drop tube, 49.9 grains of H1000 with 105 Hornaday bthp, 2.775 oal, speed 3154 average with accuracy. I learned a long time ago to buy enough powder of the same lot to burn the barrel out.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.