H1000 Problems

Ghost7

A few months back I switched from H4350 to H1000 in my .243. I made the change in an effort to preserve barrel life. I typically shoot steel from 200 yds to 1000yds. I had a good load with 4350 but was able to find a good load with H1000 and get a little more velocity. I have shot approx the last 600 rounds with the H1000 at a velocity of 3081 fps with SD under 10. This weekend I noticed some changes....rifle heating up, shots making higher than normal impacts and a little more punch than normal. When I got home I went to verify my velocities and was averaging over 3200fps and my groups had gone to crap. Yes, it was warm this weekend but only about 20 degrees warmer than when I originally chronoed this load. I couldn't figure it out but finally did. I remembered when I opened the last pound of H1000 it appeared to be smaller in terms of granule size and yes a different lot number. This seems extreme and maybe a bit dangerous. Has anyone else seen this extreme difference in lot numbers? I can grasp small changes in lot numbers but this seems like a powder with a completely different burn rate. One more thing I noticed is that it seemed to be dirtier than normal. I kinda feel like the powder container was filled with a different powder...hmmm. Maybe all powder companies should seal the powder to keep from being tampered with. Granted that prob didn't happen but something isn't right.

Ghost

Could be that Hodgdon mixed up what went in the bottle with one of their other powders. They do deal with a lot of different powders. That kind of a mistake by Loreal would maybe give you blonde hair when you were expecting red but.... a powder company makes that mistake you could be dead. Imagine if instead of H1000 they accidentally filled the bottle with Benchmark (which they also import from ADI). Glad to see that nothing really bad happened. Since the various lots of powder are all tested it isn't likely that they lost control of the recipe and shipped the powder anyway. Sounds like something went wrong somewhere. I'd give Hodgdon a call and ask what is up with lot so and so. They should take your call very seriously.

That powder isn't correct, at least in my opinion. I would contact Hodgdon before attempting to load or shoot any more of it. Hodgdon takes this sort of thing very seriously. I know because I thought I had a problem with one of their powders but it turned out to be a *** rifle. They will probably offer you a replacement container of powder and have you send that one in so they can test it, but that is just my mind wandering.

I don't think Hodgdon (or whoever makes it for them in Australia) has the best quality control. I have seen some more than minor speed differences across lots.

Had a lot of H4350 that was over 3% slower than the previous lot I was using. Had to add about 1.5 Gr. more powder to get back up to speed. Lots of H1000 I have used have not been that bad though, but that is probably just luck of the draw I guess.

I have not seen physical differences as you describe though. That would be concerning to me. Have heard powder is shipped from Australia in bulk and bottled in the states. So anything is possible I guess. I would buy another pound of H1000 in another lot and compare physically and if I looked different, would call Hodgdon.

would you post the lot number then maybe others can check their powders and then get more info if there is a problem. I just bought 8 pounds and would like to know

I shoot h1000 in the edges and when we change lots we drop the load and work back up due to hotter lots and i would think 20* difference in temp would add to it

The lot number is 5569. I talked to Hogdon today. They assured me that their quality control would never permit such an error and have had no complaints or concerns with the H1000. They have offered to test the powder if I send them 20 loaded rounds but the gentleman I talked to admitted that something definitely was not right but without testing it would not be able to determine what it is. I asked him if any changes have been made to the powder like size etc. he said no changes have been made that he is aware of. The meat and potatoes are these...it is a powder problem but whether powder was switched or mislabeled will prob never be known. This pound of powder was bought at a gun show. I don't make a habit of that but when availability is a factor you get it when and where you can. We have all done it.

Isnt reloading 101 "When you switch lots rework load". Isnt this why we always buy large quantities of powder at once? Nowadays its Hodgdons fault? Lots vary, always have always will. Its why we buy 8lb and larger jugs. Powder may well look different, its a different lot.

This isn't a problem, it's ignoring Reloading 101.

Ghost

Buying stuff at a gun show is not necessarily bad though you do increase the risk of getting taken by a crook as compared to buying a pound of powder off the shelf at your local sporting goods store. The store has no incentive to cheat you where someone at a gun show might. I'd pile that powder on a paving stone in the back yard and throw a match on it - my favorite method for getting rid of suspect powder.

OP -- when you talked to Hodgdon did they give you any indication as to what sort of difference you could expect to experience with a different lot of powder?

When you opened the powder container, was the top sealed? If not, then that sounds like someone added powder to a used container.

I know when I open a fresh can of Hodgdon if I take the seal they put on the top and put it back on there you can barely tell that it's been opened.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.