Mirage tube

Marc Young

Looking for help with a mirage shade for my nightforce nxs 50mm and 56mm scopes. Any help is appreciated whether homemade builds or a company that makes them.

Homemade: measure inside diameter of a existing sun shade. Amazon sells clear plastic tubes in many sizes I'm sure you can find the right size. Lightly sand the tube to make is "frosted" like the ones they sell. I used one for awhile, but it's packed up somewhere..... Sanding the inside the tube will make it easier to keep clean.

Looking for help with a mirage shade for my nightforce nxs 50mm and 56mm scopes
Check these out. I know a couple guys that use them on their benchrest setups and like them.

Up to 20 years ago Sinclair Intl offered a clear plastic tube made by a company named Saunders. It eventually fell out of favor with the short-range Benchrest crowd when it was discovered that the heat generated inside the tube from sunlight actually created it's own mirage. Better off with a flat strip on the barrel held on with velcro tabs or even just a strip if target paper fastened with loops of masking tape. Some in competition use a battery operated fan to minimize the mirage caused by barrel heat.

Recent Posts