Mirage

johnnyk

Wondering what you guys do when shooting through and with mirage. I mean is there a method or trick that helps you get better results? Like maybe a certain power level to stay at? maybe a target color scheme for bulls eye and backer?

Sunday the mirage was very noticeable at 1k and past. I was shooting at a 3" orange sticker on a 8.5 x 11" piece of faded red (almost pink) paper. The first initial look at it through my NXS was somewhat clear and solid but if I took too long the paper appeared to start dancing and would eventually get blurry.

My groups were under MOA I just wish there was something I could do that gave me more confidence when sending bullets down range in mirage. Anything? JohnnyK.

Wondering what you guys do when shooting through and with mirage. I mean is there a method or trick that helps you get better results? Like maybe a certain power level to stay at? maybe a target color scheme for bulls eye and backer?

Sunday the mirage was very noticeable at 1k and past. I was shooting at a 3" orange sticker on a 8.5 x 11" piece of faded red (almost pink) paper. The first initial look at it through my NXS was somewhat clear and solid but if I took too long the paper appeared to start dancing and would eventually get blurry.

My groups were under MOA I just wish there was something I could do that gave me more confidence when sending bullets down range in mirage. Anything? JohnnyK.
You can always use mirage in estimating wind direction and speed.

One of the best work arounds for dealing with it on bad days is to simply dial back the zoom on your scope. It's less noticeable at lower power than it is at high power.

You can always use mirage in estimating wind direction and speed.

One of the best work arounds for dealing with it on bad days is to simply dial back the zoom on your scope. It's less noticeable at lower power than it is at high power.

+1

With the scope cranked up, I look at the effect mirage will have on bullet impact, make the necessary changes and then dial down the power so it doesn't mess with my mind.

If conditions are constantly changing, it is best to leave the power up and read the changes or at least keep checking on it.

J E CUSTOM

Mirage, when it's bad can be treacherous.
I was shooting over a recenly cut corn field in cold temperatures on an unseasonably warm day.
The ground was covered with patches of snow and it had rained and thawed to mud.
Early in the morning it was fine, shooting out to around 900, but as the sun heated the ground and started to reflect off the snow at midday the mirage was so bad that at 300 I was not able to hit the A4 sheet the target was printed on.
In those conditions I think it's a closeout, but light mirage can be a god send when there isn't any vegetation to help gauge wind.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.