Minnesota

Who is your question directed at?

Sorry about that, cholla chomper. I was actually replying to 1kstr's post from way back in '08 ...and I had (wrongly) assumed his was the first and only post in this thread. (Had too many tabs with LRH threads in view at once and lost my bearings.)

Anyway, I now see that this thread is still active and you're in Harris, MN. Are you a member of the GRRC?

Welcome to LRH and the minnesota thread. This thread has been going for a while, I don't belong to GRRC but have been there a few times and can hear the shooting from my house maybe a mile by way of the crow flys. I am a member of the Isanti County Sportsmans club and range in cambridge and shoot quite often during the spring, summer, and fall, a few months are unbearable to be outside so I reload. Where is up north for you. EDIT>>> oops I see you are around the grand rapids area

Thank you, Chomper. I've been reading and referencing LRH threads for a couple years and recently got the itch to engage. Started getting serious about LR shooting in 2009 but, since relocating from VA to MN in FEB '12, I haven't had access to a range greater than 350.

But now... my local club in Coleraine (Itasca County Gun Club) is relocating and there's a chance we'll be able to build a 1000 yard range on the new property. With that, I'm looking for guidance/SOPs for maximizing range safety and access (i.e. scheduling) for long- and intermediate-distance shooters. Any "lessons learned" or suggestions from anyone with related experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I used to go grrc once in a while I had a friend that shot BR and they have a 1000yd range set up with target pit and concrete shooting tables here is a link for the range
Gopher Rifle and Revolver Club Im sure that someone from there can answer all of your questions about long range set up what works and what dont. Hope this helps.

Let me know if Itasca County Gun Club needs any help with range construction, might be able to lend a hand. Hibbing has a 600 yard range and Virginia has a 500 yard range.

Where is the range in virginia I am up that way several times a during the summer and is it open to the public?

Both Hibbing and Virginia are membership clubs. I can always bring a guest in, that's not a problem, except if I'm working at the Hibbing Trap Club, which is located on the same complex as the Hibbing Rifle Club.

It's about a 1 1/2 miles off of HYW 53/169 about 9 miles north of Virginia.

Both Hibbing and Virginia are membership clubs. I can always bring a guest in, that's not a problem, except if I'm working at the Hibbing Trap Club, which is located on the same complex as the Hibbing Rifle Club.

It's about a 1 1/2 miles off of HYW 53/169 about 9 miles north of Virginia.

I shoulda brought my gun with me last time i was up there to unload.....maybe next time....

I plowed ours out, but the county decided to plow a 6 ft high snow berm where the county road spur turns to go to the radio tower. They do this to turn the snowmobilers down the snowmobile trail and keep them off a 100 yard section of road that connects back up with the snowmobile trail.

Trying to get a couple of guys together to use polac picks to break up the bank so I can bust through it to drive to the range and plow it out again.

Our winter shooting consist mostly of coffee and BS in the club house with some shooting.

Our snowshoe shoot is in a couple of weeks and with my bad knee, walking the mile into the range is not a pleasant prospect.

I plowed ours out, but the county decided to plow a 6 ft high snow berm where the county road spur turns to go to the radio tower. They do this to turn the snowmobilers down the snowmobile trail and keep them off a 100 yard section of road that connects back up with the snowmobile trail.

Trying to get a couple of guys together to use polac picks to break up the bank so I can bust through it to drive to the range and plow it out again.

Our winter shooting consist mostly of coffee and BS in the club house with some shooting.

Our snowshoe shoot is in a couple of weeks and with my bad knee, walking the mile into the range is not a pleasant prospect.

Get ya a bunch of tannerite and blow the snowbank loose! Some freinds of mine put a half pound in a snowman and shot it from 100 yards with fmj 308s, pretty cool video but i cant post a link from my phone

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.