Scrapes in November in Minnesota

dogz

Good evening all,

I'm hunting in northern Minnesota and near the place I'm setting up in (stand from the ground next to a downfall) has a half a dozen scrapes near it. My question is do deer visit these scrapes this time of year ( a couple look pretty fresh) and or they made earlier and a non issue this time of year?

I've been hunting this area for about 5 years now and while I've seen some deer I've yet to see a deer visit the scrape. Maybe they're doing it at night?

Many thanks in advance for thoughts and comments.

Scrapes will usually be used the most in the pre-rut, which would be approximately the 3rd week in October in MN. They will begin to be freshened as the majority of the dies get breed and the bucks are looking for the last remaining unbreed does. I would guess this to be around the end of November. Smaller bucks may very well freshen a scrape, however, in most cases the dominate (older age class) bucks are out getting the job done.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Cheap game camera well hidden is your friend.

Browning strike force on video mode is really fun over scrapes

If you are worried about ppl taking your camera bring some screw in tree steps and put it ten feet off the ground and angle it down.

Thx, I'd been thinking about that. I'm only here for a few days and would like to see what's going on.

Silly question, but if you fill in/cover up the scrape will they redo it or does that just spook them?

Thx, I'd been thinking about that. I'm only here for a few days and would like to see what's going on.

Silly question, but if you fill in/cover up the scrape will they redo it or does that just spook them?
I use a stick and put horizontal lines in them.... they usually paw them in one particular direction... so i go horizontal to that and you can see quickly if the lines are broken.

I also urinate in every one I'm able to.... no joke

Our back property (yard) has a half dozen scrapes that have been there for 20years+ and I see most activity in the fall, but also see some scrapes and licking of branches above the scrape area all year long. Bucks as well as Does scrape and urinate in the area.
If you want to se what is there put up a camera.
I have hunted out of State in NY. When we get there (been there for 20 + years) we go to the area where scrapes were previous years. If there is or isn't activity we take a small rake and scrape up the soil. Then put some Buck Urine in the scrape. Bucks pick up the scent and try to make their presence know by scraping with their scent.. We have shot several bucks that way.
We have been laid up these past months with medical so didn't hunt and our RUT in GA was last week. We saw nice bucks all over the roads - alive chasing Does as well as dead hit by cars. A month ago I saw a Bachelor Group of six nice 8 to 10 pointers in my yard. We have several thousand acres of private land around us where it is BUCK managed.

Good evening all,

I'm hunting in northern Minnesota and near the place I'm setting up in (stand from the ground next to a downfall) has a half a dozen scrapes near it. My question is do deer visit these scrapes this time of year ( a couple look pretty fresh) and or they made earlier and a non issue this time of year?

I've been hunting this area for about 5 years now and while I've seen some deer I've yet to see a deer visit the scrape. Maybe they're doing it at night?

Many thanks in advance for thoughts and comments.
If you are going to be up there after this snow comes, it is THE best time to hunt scrapes. All the bucks using them will have to come clean them up. Saturday after the squall blows through will be money.