minimum bearing surface in case neck ?

Daveinjax

What is the minimum amount of bearing surface is needed inside the neck for a magazine fed round in your experience ? I've just ordered a reamer for a 6.5 saum set up for the matrix 160 vld but it is going to leave precious little bearing surface inside the neck with 140 berger vlds. Would .077 be enough in your opinion ? That would be hard into the lands so I would be adding whatever jump worked best but that's the theoretical shortest it would be.

The guys here, the hide and shooters lead me on the path of ~1 diameter of bearing surface in the neck. Works when it works. I have a 223 I seat to .186 of bearing surface. Bolt gun, single feed though it will mag feed.

The engineer in me says .077 is to little to take the flex.

I can't tell you how much is enough, but I can tell you how much is not. I'm trying to get the 140 VLD to shoot in my 6.5-284. I can't seem to get the jump to shoot right, but if I jam the bullets .005" into the lands it shots one hole. Unfortunately that only leaves .1150" in the case and with .002" neck bushing for tension they will not stay put. The more I pack the loads around the more the group opens up. They get knocked out of concentricity which so far the VLDs seem to be very picky with.
I can pack them around quite a bit before they go past shooting MOA, but it doesn't take but a trip or two down the road to break 1/2 MOA.

Looks like if I want to shoot 140 vlds I'll be working with a lot of jump. If I don't get what I want out of the 160's I'll be setting the barrel back and grinding the reamer down.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.