Miller Stability Formula Question

jrsolocam

I have a Sako TGRS in .300 Win and it has an 11" twist. I want to try the Berger 230 Hybrid, but a 10" is recommended. I am hoping not to rebarrel now. When I run it through the Miller formula (@ 2750 fps) I get a 1.31 SG. 1.4 and above is considered very stable, while less is considered marginal.

My question is this: When a bullet is not quite stable like this, where does it usually show up? Right away, or downrange somewhere? I'm not looking at shooting to transonic, maybe 6-700 yards.

Thanks for your input!

I shot the 215's this morning from an 11.25 twist 30-338 at 2880fps and they were stable to 1030yds. They are suppose to require a 10 twist also. They measured only .020 shorter than the 230's are listed at. I don't know how much difference that actually makes.
I have had badly unstable bullets keyhole at 100. Marginally stable bullets may fall apart a long ways out, dropping a shot low every now and then.
Cliff

I have a Sako TGRS in .300 Win and it has an 11" twist. I want to try the Berger 230 Hybrid, but a 10" is recommended. I am hoping not to rebarrel now. When I run it through the Miller formula (@ 2750 fps) I get a 1.31 SG. 1.4 and above is considered very stable, while less is considered marginal.

My question is this: When a bullet is not quite stable like this, where does it usually show up? Right away, or downrange somewhere? I'm not looking at shooting to transonic, maybe 6-700 yards.

Thanks for your input!

I'm thinking you should be ok, especially at the ranges you are talking about......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.