Mild recoiling rifle for hunting medium sized game

I never understood the recoil concerns on a hunting rifle. There is only one time that I recalled recoil after shooting at a deer. I leaned too far into the scope and it cut my eyebrow. I'm concentrating so hard on the shot that I don't even hear the kaboom.
The recoil concern is in the ability of the shooter to shoot consistently. Most people can not pick up a 300 Norma, and shoot it as well as they can say a 6x47 lapua. Large magnums make it mandatory to get behind the gun squarely every time. Not doing so results in abberations of the intended impact point.

I'm definitely not anti- match! That's all I use on game but I just noticed the hollow points were closed up on the 142s we have so I was wondering if you opened them up
No I dont open them up, I shoot them straight out of the box. I don't have a meplat trimmer, nor do i think i could do it well enough, to not alter the consistency of the .bc. i have heard of people annealing the tips to get them expand better, but, as i stated, I only shoot antelope and deer with these.

I like head shots but only under certain circumstances, mainly because I don't like chasing after them. The animal has to be calm and completely unaware I'm close by, preferably feeding or even dozing off a bit. I get as close as possible but 100 yards is about my outer limit. I have stretched that on occasion, especially if the critter is bedded down. I have always gone for a shot just behind the eye, usually with my Win. .270, which is very accurate. Every shot I've taken under those circumstances has been like bolt of lightning for the critter and every one of them has folded up like a taco, on the spot. If they're the least bit nervous or twitchy, pawing the ground, 'playing' with others, anything but totally relaxed, it's a no go for me. Since it's worked every time for me, I think I must be doing something right!
Cheers,
crkckr

Gonna go with a 308 here. Is far more versatile than the CM.
And I'm surprised how many people overlook/ignore the frontal diameter of the bullet and it's effect on terminal ballistics. The ballistic charts don't show how well /not well the bullets can transfer the kinetic energy. That's a combination of bullet design, construction, physical diameter, speed, weight, and resistance. I'll be there first to admit technology has made some good improvements and made things more effective-still doesn't negate physics.
That frontal diameter is why cartridges like the 357 rem, 44/45/460 mag are so effective, even though the don't have rifle like kinetic energy.
No hate for the CM. It's a fine round when used in the right application.
In life when you gain something, you also lose something you liked. What is lost when shooting lightweight- light recoiling rounds (don't mean $$$ cost;)).

I think if you want to use it at the range in lieu of your 300 mag, I'd look at the ballistics tables and determine which of the cartridge/bullet combos most closely matches your favorite 300 mag combo at the distances you'll be shooting, and whittle it down from there. At least gets you in the ballpark and simplifies your holdover/under.

Hello, new to this forum. Looking for recommendations for factory rifles for this purpose. My planned shooting range on game would not exceed 600-700 yards but I would like to try target shooting out to 1,000 ish yards. The 6.5 CM gets a lot of press and it seems like there are a lot of choices in rifle and ammo. However, I am open to other caliber choices. I don't plan to handload.
FYI, I have a 300WM that I use for elk hunting and shoot it well but would be nice to practice with less recoil and lower ammo cost.
I would like scope suggestions as well.
Thanks in advance.

As far as "affordable" factory rifles, I have heard good things about the TC Compass in the 6.5cm. I has the 5 r barrel and comes pre-threaded. Putting a break on a 6.5 makes it feel like a .223. They are fun to shoot and put a hurt'in on deer. My son shot his buck at 747 with a .260 this year.

Good excuse for a "dedicated coyote rifle", 22-250 to .243. I have a wonderful 300WM, but for me, its not the long range ( I don't go past 400) but the thump and accuracy I like. I also shoot my 300WM "sparingly" as I don't want to fry the throat out and have to change my load data too soon. I just picked up a Vanguard in .240 Weatherby for the coyote/deer rifle , and just added another .270Win for all around. I will shoot the devil out of both of the smaller ones, and "every now and then" with the 300. There are many options I didn't mention, mainly, my Bushmaster Predator .223 for coyotes and small deer/hogs. I hunted with many small caliber wildcats for years and years, .224 to 6mm. From "all those" I like the 240W best as a killer. A 25-06 is so close its scary, and a bonafide contender, so let us know what you decised on? Thanks pard, and good luck to you.

Again thanks for the replies guys. I should clarify that I have a factory Winchester 300wm with BOSS purchased around 1995. I did have it glass bedded and I put in a Jewell trigger set to 2 1/2 lbs. It is a 1/2 moa rifle with factory ammo. It even shoots Remington core lokts sub moa( out to about 350).
But dang, that BOSS makes it loud. Really noticeable at the range, especially with a metal roof. Recoil with BOSS is not bad.
Right now I am thinking of a Bergara HMR 6.5 creedmoor as my smaller caliber rifle. All reviews are good and lots of factory ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.