Mild recoiling rifle for hunting medium sized game

No, these are the pointed 142, The 150 uses a different ogive than the 142. I would imagine for how long and narrow the front of the 150 is, it would be prone to rapid expansion. I have never used a 150 on game. I have uses the 95g smk out of my 22x47 lapua, and that did blow big holes in some of the coyotes I shot with it. I know a lot of guys are anti match bullets for hunting, but I only shoot deer and antelope with them, and they work well in that capacity.

No, these are the pointed 142, The 150 uses a different ogive than the 142. I would imagine for how long and narrow the front of the 150 is, it would be prone to rapid expansion. I have never used a 150 on game. I have uses the 95g smk out of my 22x47 lapua, and that did blow big holes in some of the coyotes I shot with it. I know a lot of guys are anti match bullets for hunting, but I only shoot deer and antelope with them, and they work well in that capacity.
I'm definitely not anti- match! That's all I use on game but I just noticed the hollow points were closed up on the 142s we have so I was wondering if you opened them up

Why not a .243 Win shooting 100 grain Partitions? Somebody talk me out of building one.

I've wondered why the 243 is not more common for long range shooting. Barrel life is lower but they maintain supersonic past 1k with the right loads and recoil is the definition of mild.

Hello, new to this forum. Looking for recommendations for factory rifles for this purpose. My planned shooting range on game would not exceed 600-700 yards but I would like to try target shooting out to 1,000 ish yards. The 6.5 CM gets a lot of press and it seems like there are a lot of choices in rifle and ammo. However, I am open to other caliber choices. I don't plan to handload.
FYI, I have a 300WM that I use for elk hunting and shoot it well but would be nice to practice with less recoil and lower ammo cost.
I would like scope suggestions as well.
Thanks in advance.

Indyal: I've always used Nightforce,I have two,Atacr 7x35x56 and 7x25x56 these have always worked for me!But I've always been a serious shooter.Rule # 1 is that I always look behind my target regardless of where I am at but that is just me.Good luck,stay safe and good shooting

The love for the 7mm-08 in this thread brings me much joy. I have personally made 1st round hits on steel at 1760yds (1 mile) with a 7mm-08 and killed elk, deer and coyotes at 600+ yards. Would have taken longer shots, but they haven't presented themselves yet. Low recoil, readily available ammo from 120-165gr. Hard to beat the 7mm-08.

I've wondered why the 243 is not more common for long range shooting. Barrel life is lower but they maintain supersonic past 1k with the right loads and recoil is the definition of mild.

For several of us, we do use a variety of 243, 243AI, 6mm and 6mmAI for LR on 600 and 1,000yd BR, deer, antelope and varmints. Proper twist is required for high BC bullets, but I have used 1/9's with good success up to the 105's. When I rebarrel either, I will go with a 1/8tw for the longer bullets and better LR stability.

I have an older 6mm M700 Varmint in a 1/9 twist that still shoots the 105 AMAX into sub 1/2 MOA groups, but those are handloads and most factory stuff isn't up to snuff for LR shooting. My 243 and 6mmAI targets wear 26" tubes and 1/9 twists and they shoot very well with a variety of bullets.

Historically, factory ammo for either was not up to snuff for LR shooting, barrel twists in 243 were 1/10 and too slow for high BC bullets, so custom barrels, faster twists and handloading were requirements for these 2. However, when done correctly, the varied 6mm calibers are good performers at extended ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.