Media for blasting

jsthntn247

I have a few guns that I duracoated and the paint is coming off. I've got some Norrells Molly to redo it. I don't have the money or room to buy a high dollar blasting cabinet. My quistion is can I get one one of those outside blasting guns and use sand to blast the duracoat off? If so what would be the best sand to use that can be found easily? I know it's best to use 120 alum ox at 40lbs pressure, but it's just not feasible for a few guns and no cabinet.

Got an air compressor? I just built my first 1911, finished it in ceracoat(similar cure procedure) came out great. I got a blasting cabinet from tractor supply(gun was included) 99$(harbor freight has them for less or so I have heard).

Aluminum oxide or garnet sand is a must as you want to etch the metal. I got 50 lbs of aluminum oxide at Grangers near my house. It cost about 80$ but with the cabinet all set up its reusable. I also used max psi in my cabinet about 120 psi.

Another option is a small hobby gun from woodworkers warehouse or harbor freight they are about the size of a airbrush and come with a small amount of aluminum oxide media(but its not really enough to do one 1911).

You want clean media (no oil) but the dura coat will come right off. Any industrial supply place should have what you need as far as media tractor supply may as well along with automotive refinishing shops. I have 3 sand blasters now (thats what you get when you try to cut corners) all a direct result of being cheep and not just starting out with the cabinet. You can always build your cabinet from ply wood and glass. A gun is very cheep less than 20$. Make sure you soak your parts in acetone for at least 10 min and let them air dry, then preheat in oven for 30 min at 250 degrees to drive out any oil, if oil was driven out re clean and re heat before you paint.

Ok, did some researching. Since I already have a compressor and only have a few guns to do I thought about getting a gravity feed sandblaster and doing it outside( I live in the boondocks). Norrell's reccommends using 70 grit media, I found some 60-80 grit extra fine Black Diamond media for 7.99 for a 50lb bag. 50 lbs should be all I need to finish my few guns and a that price, I won't need to recycly the media. Will this work?

Ok, did some researching. Since I already have a compressor and only have a few guns to do I thought about getting a gravity feed sandblaster and doing it outside( I live in the boondocks). Norrell's reccommends using 70 grit media, I found some 60-80 grit extra fine Black Diamond media for 7.99 for a 50lb bag. 50 lbs should be all I need to finish my few guns and a that price, I won't need to recycly the media. Will this work?
Ya sounds like it, just follow there directions and you should be fine

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.