McWhorter Range report as promised

Buzzsaw

Not really sure what to think. I'm trying to be positive. I expected .25 MOA, getting these. I will also send these pics to McWhorter, see what they think. The first groups with the H-1000 were with a clean barrel, the N-560 loads, with fouled bore, little better groups. I let barrel cool 5 minutes between shots.
The Bergers have never been a one-hole bullet for me. This IS a LONG range gun, and I shouldn't freak too bad till I stretch her out a bit. I bought some 140gr Sierra Match Kings and will load same powders with them. These bullets will show it it is a .50 MOA gun.
Thing is my buddies Ruger American shoots this good.......Comegun) on guys talk me off the ledge!!!

I have had rifles that would shoot close to .75 inches at 100 yards, which i was not satisfied with. However, it would maintain that.75 inches at 300 yards. That is why I don't put too much credence in anything at 100 and do most of my load development at 200 and beyond.

builder fired about 35 rounds breaking in . I have fired 28 rounds , not sure what OCW means too many acronyms these days. I am just using load data given to me by McWhorter and a man who is familiar with the 6.5 Weatherby. Have not really gone into load development.

It could be any number of things. Try more powders, different coal, different primer, etc. I'd guess you already know this...I've had custom rifles that I almost gave up on, then bingo, little groups. Also like the other guy said, shoot it farther, I have rifles that won't quite shoot an inch but shoot 3" @ 500 yards. Hang in there! Give Norma MRP a shot, it works great in small to mid Weatherby rounds.

I have had rifles that would shoot close to .75 inches at 100 yards, which i was not satisfied with. However, it would maintain that.75 inches at 300 yards. That is why I don't put too much credence in anything at 100 and do most of my load development at 200 and beyond.

I agree....

"I have rifles that won't quite shoot an inch but shoot 3" @ 500 yards"

So it gets smaller the further you go ? 2" at 700 and so on ??

Wedgy,
That isn't what he is saying. He is saying that his group size doesn't keep growing 1" larger every 100 yards. This is a well documented phenomenon with long bullets in which they tend to yaw around the tip for the first 100 to 200 yards before completely stabilizing. Their flight paths may diverge by an inch at 100 yards but when the bullets stabilize their flight paths no longer diverge as much down range, hence the 3" group at 500 yards.

Wedgy,
That isn't what he is saying. He is saying that his group size doesn't keep growing 1" larger every 100 yards. This is a well documented phenomenon with long bullets in which they tend to yaw around the tip for the first 100 to 200 yards before completely stabilizing. Their flight paths may diverge by an inch at 100 yards but when the bullets stabilize their flight paths no longer diverge as much down range, hence the 3" group at 500 yards.
Well said......

I only have experience with one McWhorter, a .270 Weatherby. It consistently shoots around .5moa at 100, never significantly better or worse. I shoot 150 grain Berger VLD hunting bullets and 140 grain Nosler Accubonds. Both deliver about the same accuracy.
The groups you posted would be cause for concern and I would definitely see what Alan has to say.

Pet loads from other rifle will sometimes work, sometimes not but mostly you'll waste valuable barrel life trying pet loads instead of doing a methodical load work up which will give you the best result every time!

How far off the lands are you. Did you just pick 68 grains and expect it to shoot? Work up the load right and it will probably hammer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts