McRees Precision Stocks

Louis Corkern

McRees Precision Modular Stock System
First I would like to say that I have witnessed the evolution of Scotts' stock design from the original generation one models to the present generation and it has been a pleasure dealing with Scott in all areas of that evolution. Sorry I do not have any pics of the original generation to show you as Scott actually took them back on "trade in" when a new design come out.
There will be plenty photos of each individual section as well as complete stocks to follow but lets get to the "fine print".
The stock system basically has 3 main sections which are as follows:
Center section
Front section
Rear section
Now onto details of each section.
Center section is machined to match action design perfectly and the hardest part about choosing a center section is deciding which type you want such as ADL, BDL, DBM, or TMag center. I prefer the TMag centers as they allow you to use AI or Accurate mags with no bottom metal. Know none of the centers require bedding or pillars so no gunsmith required.
Front section has several different options that can be used and this is what sets this stock apart from others. I can choose to put the tactical front section which has flush cups on sides and bottom and allows for the front cover piece to be installed in which that front cover then allows for picatiny rails to be installed at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions, or I can choose to install a flat front section that rides the mechanical rest and/or bags better.
Rear section has either fixed or a folder option. Both of which are adjustable in all areas to include length of pull, cheek piece height, and recoil pad angle. You can choose to use either strictly right or strictly left sided cheek piece or you can choose to use both as I do. They match up near perfectly.
So in summary all that is needed is a torque wrench and couple allen wrenches to put together the sections and drop your barreled action into it. I personally use 58 in/lbs on the action screws and honestly I don't torque the allen screws that connect the rear to center and front to center. I just hand tighten and let it ride.
Also Scott is currently working on a coating or skin of some type in order to make the stock more user friendly in harsh environments. Just so that the stock doesn't get too hot or too cold for people to handle. I live in Louisiana and it pretty much stays hot here and I have had no problem with the stocks getting too hot to even be concerned about, but I can see how in the cold environments that might play a bigger factor. The way I look at it is the stocks can get no colder or hotter than the forend on the AR style weapon systems.

Thanks

Last edited:
Louis,
I have used one of Scott's stocks on a Lawton 375x408 Chey-Tac-really liked it.
I have also watched Eric Wallace use a modified version (took the buttstock off) and converted into a rear grip specialty handgun stock.
Wallace placed in the 11 pound class one month and won 1st place the next month using this set-up.
I am also quite impressed with Scott's work, and will soon have one that is set-up for one of my XP-100 specialty handguns.

louis i too have watched the evolution of scotts stocks. i have a gen 1 or 2 custumized slightly i think you can order it that way now. all i cn say is bolt it in and you are ready too go. iloaned mine too a friend and then put mine back in confirmed zero and was set. it is one tough stock i would recomend it too any one with the right parts you can go from a bench stock too a tactical stalk in no time at all. and still be sighted in.i looked through one of scotts set ups on the bags one day at 1k and it tracked better than any set up i have seen too date and i look at alot of peoples rigs on the line.yes iam a freind of scotts butt this is not an add for his stocks.now if we could only get him out of the shop and back on the 1k line with his wife having some fun instead of working all the time. cody finch

I look forward to getting my first McRees stock sometime in the near future. I'll be poting pics of my new rig when she shows up. :)

JeffVN

What sort of price range are we talking about for say the hunter or tactical config? Are we at say AICS or like a HS Precision? I just need to know if I should start saving now or I can wait 'til after X-mas.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.