McMillan Hunters Edge Stocks?

Billinsd

I am looking to buy one. They are lightweight and sturdy. However, I have never handled one?

Do any of you have any experiences with them?

I know the recoil will be more and that the stock is more compact. I have a 7mm Rem Mag in a Stevens and it shoots well.

I'd like to have an accurate, lightweight rifle.

I think with the Edge stock and some fine tuning on the receiver I should be set.

Thanks
Bill

So, no one has a McMillan Hunter's Edge? Or has a friend with one?

How about a different model in Edge technology?

Thanks
Bill

I just got a Hunters edge put on my Remington. I think the fit and finish is nice. I think Bansners Ultimate Rifles does a better job at making a light weight stock. I have one of those as well. If I do it again I will just order another one from Bansners. McMillan is also not that easy to work with. At least that is my experience. The product they build is nice though. The fit and finish is real clean.

Last edited:
Hey Jon, you know I do not believe Bansners has stocks to fit a Savage/Stevens rifle, do they?
Thanks
Bill

No they do not make one. At least I do not see it listed on the web site. Are you using one of those?

McMillan Edge

Bill, I did quite a bit of research with this type of stock over the last year and am having one put on my model 700 in 300 Win. I ended up going with Hill Country Rifles as they were highly recommended by McMillan. One thing Hill Country recommended was not to use the Edge stock with the Mag Calibers. They recommended using the Edge technology so the weight savings would be there, but to use the Remington Sporter style stock because it would handle the recoil better. This will also have a 1" decelerator pad installed. The gun was 7-5/8 lb. and according to Hill Country, it should weigh in at about 6-1/2 to 6-3/4 when complete. The other thing I am adding is the lightweight Talley one piece rings and bases, which should shave some more weight as well. McMillan runs about 4 months on their stocks, so plan ahead. Mine should be ready about April 1st. If you need more info, let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.