Are McMillan stocks worth the $$$

chad44

I'm doing my first build. I'm using a ruger m77 mark 2 (I know most hate this action). Broughton 7mm #5 barrel. I'm having trouble with a stock decision. Are mcmillians really worth the cash? I'm looking at the A3 hunter. It's about 100$ less then the A2 tactical. Thanks

I also looked at manners but it seemed they were right with McMillan in the price. Maybe 30-50$ less.

I have both and actually prefer HS precision to both for prone shooting.

You make a very good point that I would not have thought about. I have McMillan, Manners & HS. I've never felt lacking with the HS, just a solid stock.

To the original question, yes, McMillan is well worth the $$$.

t

"worth it" is a relative term. to some Mcmillan stocks are worth the price.
I have had them/used them, liked 'em, but don't feel the extra cost gave me anything over and above other fine synthetic stocks available.
It depends on YOUR wants/needs.

I just recently had my first two custom rifles built. Concerned with cost I put a McMillan A3 Hunter on one and used the factory HS on the other. I personally like the fit and feel of the McMillan better plus I like the marble swirl finish, with the right combination of colors you can get a camo effect. I would highly recommend the A3 Hunter for an all around hunting rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.