McGowen or Hart Rebarrel

Here's an article showing which barrels are used by top shooters. Bartlien's at the top, and McGowen (which I recently purchased) along with Criterion, K&P, and H-S Precision are at the bottom. Hart's not on the list.
2021-11-29 22_04_34-Best Rifle Barrel - What The Pros Use - PrecisionRifleBlog.com.png

Last edited:
Here you go….

I'm not trying to pass judgment here, just sharing what's out there. Haven't yet had an opportunity to see how well (or not) mine shoots, but am hoping for the best since part of the reason I went for McGowen was because of good reports.

first the chart is prs type competition, not hunting not long range, not benchrest.

imho, they do not require GREAT accuracy.
bartlien has been growing in benchrest also. kroeger is still the bench mark most are compared to, lilja has a good rep( make all the bbls for the mk13 mil sniper rifles....1.1 moa is their min spec, most are much better)
the real issue is the quality that the BUYER will accept for the MONEY.
SOME comments made here are pretty much pipe dreams.
a short range hunting rifle does not require GREAT accuracy...1 moa is plenty.
everyones standards are different, with no actual DATA, its all OPINIONS.
i shoot kreiger well over 80%, i have one great hart 223, 3 lilja's in 30's.

first the chart is prs type competition, not hunting not long range, not benchrest.

imho, they do not require GREAT accuracy.
bartlien has been growing in benchrest also. kroeger is still the bench mark most are compared to, lilja has a good rep( make all the bbls for the mk13 mil sniper rifles....1.1 moa is their min spec, most are much better)
the real issue is the quality that the BUYER will accept for the MONEY.
SOME comments made here are pretty much pipe dreams.
a short range hunting rifle does not require GREAT accuracy...1 moa is plenty.
everyones standards are different, with no actual DATA, its all OPINIONS.
i shoot kreiger well over 80%, i have one great hart 223, 3 lilja's in 30's.

^^^^100%

as far as lead time and availability,
i typically get my kriegers /liljas in less than 4 weeks
my last 2 were in stock at a local dealer...same day pickup.

I actually just got the email my McGowen is finished. This will be my first and probably Last barrel from them. Ordered a 18" fast twist (1:8) .270 for a pre-64 M70. Short range Hunter with plans to run HH's. We'll see how it does.