McGowen barrels

carterq72

Has anybody have any experience with mcGowen barrels. Good or bad, I'd like to hear from you. I spent alot of money on a custom rifle in which my builder suggested one of these. Just wondering if I made a costly mistake!

I have experience w/ two, so far they are very good. Broke in easily, and shoot well. No fouling problems.

Steve

I have 2 of them.

I bought the first one over a year ago. It's a 10t .308 bull barrel for a Savage action. It broke in real easy. My best group so far is a .212", but it will shoot in the low to mid .3" range all day long @ 100, and I can usually keep them around .5" @200. It cleans very easily with just a few patches, and almost no copper fouling at all.

Since my 308 shot so good I just bought another one in 6br about a month ago. I've only been to the range a couple times with it, just breaking the barrel in and testing some varmint loads. The 87gr vmax/Varmint combo is already shooting in the .3-.4's, and I havent messed with any seating depths or anything yet. I cant wait to see how it does with some match Bergers. This barrel cleans just as good as the other one too.

Bottom line is I think you made a good investment. They are just as good as Shilen and the like.

About the only problem I've heard with them is where they had to rent a reamer because they didnt have the one the customer wanted.

thanks for the info guys. It gives me some piece of mind. I've been pretty partial to Hart and Douglas tubes though. I guess you have to trust you builder, but it helps to hear it from the shooters. As for the reamers they are often short on comes from 4-D reamers, which is Z-Hat out of WY. This I know for a fact, because Z-Hat is my builder. He has the good stuff and seems to really know his bussiness. I'm having a 6mm WSM built by him. It will be ready in a couple of weeks. I cant wait to diagest a load in this overboared, barrel burnin goat killer. Know anybody who has played that game yet? Should could use that info to save on my primers!!!!

I have never used one yet but plan to in a 17 cal wildcat if McGowen wiil do it. in response to your question. I have found you will get a lot of opions good and bad. the best way is to try one. I have used several different barrels by well known gun barrel makers. not always happy. but could different reason,s why.

I built a 6WSM on a Mcgowen barrel about 8 month ago. It shot pretty well but the velocity wasn't what I hoped before I saw pressure. 3450fps with a 105 Amax was about max with any kind of accuracy. I shot Retumbo and H5010 in it mostly with the nod going to Retumbo. R-33 would probably be a better powder because you can load 3-4grain more of it then Retumbo and the velocities are pretty good in my 6.5-300wm.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.