Maximum magnification?

Totoro

Hey fellas, what's your preferred maximum power setting for shots between 1000-1300yds?

Been thinking about 25x as top range but having second thoughts because of mirage and steadiness.

Maybe dropping down to 18x to 20x?

Thoughts?

Depends on what you are shooting at.

But if you look at the equipment fclass and 1000 yrd bench shooters are using I would say 40x and up.

There's nothing wrong with a very powerful variable power scope e.g. ATACR 5-25 F1 from Nightforce for long range management of mirage etc. All you have to do when mirage becomes a problem is dial it down.

There's nothing wrong with a very powerful variable power scope e.g. ATACR 5-25 F1 from Nightforce for long range management of mirage etc. All you have to do when mirage becomes a problem is dial it down.

And you can use that mirage to read the wind at your target

On FFP scopes I really like that 18-20x range. On SFP I really like that 25x with the reticle still nice and small! Obviously environmental effects come in to play and make us reduce the mag we'd like to be using. Hunting mirage is rarely a concern for me, but things like snow, sleet, fog, etc.. can be for sure and sometimes force me to bring the power down.

At the same time, I would feel handicapped with 15x for example. Anything over 12x is adequate for 1k in my book as long as it has repeatable turrets/reticle.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.