master list of all around cartridge list

for purposes of truly concise lists, lets just say that 22's go without saying. maybe should have made that clear, of course for squirrels and rabbits that people intend to actually have meat left on yea, a 22 or 17 would be the bet choice, but for all game for which one wants to use center fire, try and pick 5 or fewer cartridges, i'm liking the lists im getting. the second guy to post basically put the log action counter parts to my short action contributions. loving the lists guys keep em comin!! :D

Since you're trying to be concise I presume when you say 17 and 22 you don't mean a 17 Remington or 22-250. As short range either of those will turn a squirrel or rabbit into red slime.

Even saying rimfire isn't sufficient.

17 Aguila
17 HM2
17 HMR

22 Short
22 LR
22 Magnum

I will leave out the .22 rimfire and the .17 Hmr but for centerfire for what I do here is what I have come to trust over the years.

.220 Swift
.260 Rem
.280 Rem
.338 Ultra
And when the ranges are short the woods are dark and I need a rifle that I can move fast and make hits with some serious punch

.35 whelen

Hoping to add the .375 Ultra someday if I can sweet talk the wife just right because once the kids are finished school Dad should be allowed to go to Africa just once before he dies.

i was meaning 22lr's, longs, shorts, wmr's, mags, and 17hmr and mach 2.
i feel those shouldn't be on these lists. honestly who shoots/hunts and doesn't have at least one 22 that they got as a kid or somthin ya know lol

cool lists guys, put the intended platform too if yall want :)

6mm AI
257 wby mag
6.5x284 or 6.5-06AI
7mm wsm long action, long throat
300 wby mag

Oh and 308 for anything, for me under right conditions.

1) 22-250- Max Range 500 yards- up to yotes. more for bobcats though.
2) .243 win- Max Range 900 yards- yotes only
3) 7WSM Max Range- 700 yards- deer
4).338 Rum Max Range- 1200 yards- ELk
5) .458 Win bolt Max range- Depends on how mean the critter is
.470 NE Double

these are Max ranges based on what I think would be effective range. I dont own all these cartriges, but certainly hope to one day.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.