What lightweight SA all around cartridge build?

Very slick. I'm far from a Craftsman but an aluminum bedding block and a torque wrench I can handle. I'll probably be resided to have to suck up the weight of the stock.

I just weighed in to see where things are at now and I ADDED a fraction of an ounce to it. Apparently the Ebony tip, Permalyn finish and Supergrade swivel bases weight a little more than what I took out of the recoil pad and forend channel. LOL, the penalty for vanity. :rolleyes: :confused:

I still have the lightweight bottom metal (maybe minus 3-4oz) we're working on and can pull maybe 4-6oz out of the buttstock by boring it out. But then the new Rock Creek 24" barrel will add back on another 4oz. If I can somehow justify to myself the March scope it will drop 5oz back off current scope is pretty heavy for the rifle, 28oz or so. Give and take I guess. We'll see where it lands finally.

Right now it's all up loaded ready to field 8lbs.

Last edited:
I went through all the options of a light weight rifle in/on a short action for bear and Elk and came up with the 338 RCM. In my rifle it will push the 180 grain bullets @ 3029+ ftsec, The 200 grain will push 2950 ft/sec, and the 225 grain can pass 2700 ft/sec with room to spare. I tried the 250 grain bullets and besides the recoil being uncomfortable, the little barrel suffered with only 2500 ft/sec
velocity.

My rifle likes the 180's and the 200's the best. It is a stone cold killer if you need something in a short light weight rifle for Elk sized game at 5 or 600 yards. It is a short magnum and would easily work/fit in the SA Savage.

Mine is built on a model 7 Remington and weighs just under 7 pounds fully dressed.

J E CUSTOM

Well that certainly sounds like an absolute hammer. What length barrel and if I may also ask are you running a muzzle brake?

Well that certainly sounds like an absolute hammer. What length barrel and if I may also ask are you running a muzzle brake?

I built it with a 22'' #4 contour to keep it short and light. also was hoping for 3000 ft/sec with the 200 grain but just could not get there and keep the pressure reasonable.

And yes I did install a muzzle brake after several hunts when after the first shot the rifle ended up at about 11 o'clock for follow up shots on other pigs and coyotes. Recoil was brisk but manageable without the brake so I installed a brake with top ports and the results were just the opposite and all I could see was the ground so plan "C" went into effect, and I built a brake with no top ports and the problem was solved. Here is the test/Video we performed to analyze this problem and come up with a solution.

Now control is very good and recoil is very mild.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.