Maryland sika deer

Hunter Reed

Got the itch to try a archery sika deer hunt this year in Maryland. I'm looking for outfitter recommendations. I'm an avid bow hunter who's main focus is whitetails but these little critters look like a blast to hunt. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Hunter Reed

Couldn't help you on an outfitter, but I hunted them on public land from 2005-2008 when I lived in Maryland. Coolest little swamp rats. When they bugle it sounds like a elk on helium. Gets the heart racing!
Those little deer are my white whales. Ive had them at 5 yds and still never connected. Shoot, even missed a decent stag twice with my muzzle loader!
Your chances will be much higher with a guide (private land, feeders, less pressure) but if you want any public land tips, pointers, what not to do shoot me a PM.

Oh, there's a forum, haven't been on it in 12 years, called MWC. Think the website is Marylandwhitetail.net. Anyway, there's a thread called "The Wallow" on that. Will have everything you need to know. Pretty sure they discuss guides as well.

Oh, there's a forum, haven't been on it in 12 years, called MWC. Think the website is Marylandwhitetail.net. Anyway, there's a thread called "The Wallow" on that. Will have everything you need to know. Pretty sure they discuss guides as well.
Thanks Ross I appreciate the info! I'll give it a look.

Good luck, it's a blast. I hunted them on public land in both Murlin and Virginia.
Careful with your shots, I would recommend using large broad heads as they do not bleed very well, and the cover is brutally thick. The only archery Sika stag that I recovered I actually used a string tracker on.

Good luck, it's a blast. I hunted them on public land in both Murlin and Virginia.
Careful with your shots, I would recommend using large broad heads as they do not bleed very well, and the cover is brutally thick. The only archery Sika stag that I recovered I actually used a string tracker on.
2CEDEF0B-B28F-4DA2-A79F-611DA5CDB64C.jpeg

thanks for the tip, as you can tell from the attached photo I too enjoy the benefits of a large cutting diameter broadhead!

If that's a rage I've seen one hit a sika stag at 30 yds square shoulder. The rage penetrated 2.5" the bent sideways and stopped. I switched to fixed after witnessing that. These things are pretty small. Like a big stag is around 90 lbs. a hine will be 60-65. Make sure you're off the shoulder!
What puddle rat was referring too is you will be hunting in water more than likely. Probably surrounded by phragmites. Unless they bleed enough on the phrags tracking a blood trail in 6"+ of water at night is not fun! You can find them on dry land, but I always saw more deep in the swap, surrounded by phrags in 6-24" of water.
If you score better post pictures here!

If that's a rage I've seen one hit a sika stag at 30 yds square shoulder. The rage penetrated 2.5" the bent sideways and stopped. I switched to fixed after witnessing that. These things are pretty small. Like a big stag is around 90 lbs. a hine will be 60-65. Make sure you're off the shoulder!
What puddle rat was referring too is you will be hunting in water more than likely. Probably surrounded by phragmites. Unless they bleed enough on the phrags tracking a blood trail in 6"+ of water at night is not fun! You can find them on dry land, but I always saw more deep in the swap, surrounded by phrags in 6-24" of water.
If you score better post pictures here!
You are correct, the ol doe was shot with a Rage trypan, I remember when Rage first came onto the scene I was still shooting the old Fred bear razor heads haha my dad and mentor was always a fixed blade guy and wouldn't dare think of shooting a mechanical, anyways I watched a similar scenario a guy in our group shot a small buck square in the shoulder with a Rage and he's probably still running to this day haha, we swore we'd never shoot them, fast forward a few years, I was shoot magnus stingers and happened to kill the biggest buck of my life shot him at 45 yards quartered away arrow went in at the last rib and exited through the offside shoulder, that buck only went 100 yards but bled literally 2 drops of blood the entire way! After witnessing that first hand I decided to switch to something different. I completely agree that whatever you're shooting you best stay off that shoulder haha. As far as the terrain I hear they reside in some nasty stuff! If I'm fortunate enough to experience success I'll definitely share with the group! Thanks again for all the advice!

I hunted Assateague island self guided years ago. Camped at the main campgrounds and drove myself down to the dune crossings and punched into the mangroves from there. It was tough hunting. I killed 2 in 2 days. I was using a Recurve as it was easier to manipulate in the thicker areas and you can get a snap shot off alot quicker with a recurve than you can with a compound bow.

Just watch the game rules really closely as the boundaries can be misleading and the wardens know it and are ready to pounce (federal and state patrol the areas).

If you can afford the time/money, come public land Sika hunting in New Zealand. During the rut, they can be heard a lot. I've not been able to connect with one in years of trying. Very much a popular game animal here and heavily hunted with bow and rifle. A couple of good archery shops with excellent advice for visitors in Auckland, for some localities.

Be careful doing anything that libs don't like, Maryland is practically a communist country!
Try getting a carry license, so many flaming hoops to jump through. No reciprocation with any other state.
I think it's worse than Kalifornia and New Jersey Stan!

Be careful doing anything that libs don't like, Maryland is practically a communist country!
Try getting a carry license, so many flaming hoops to jump through. No reciprocation with any other state.
I think it's worse than Kalifornia and New Jersey Stan!
Virginia isn't much better! Pretty soon I'll be limited to shooting the neighbor kid's marbles out of my slingshot!

Sorry, you won't be able to own a slingshot! And there coming to take your grandfathered slingshot that used multiple shot mags!
I do miss my Wrist Rocket